Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
check engine light comes on and is giving P0102 & P0103, both MAF codes. Drivability symptoms include:
• acceleration stutters at approx 3000 rpms
• cannot maintain low idle, engine dies
• temp guage sporadically gives no reading
• all of the above happen once the engine has warmed up.

I have already needlessly changed the MAF sensor. looking for a push in the right direction. I'm not a mechanic but I am half smart and no how to follow clear and concise instructions.

Thank you in advance

·
Registered
13 Posts
You can find the part cheap on amazon. In fact way cheaper than Autozone by 100 and it's not hard to change. just don't touch the sensor wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
check engine light comes on and is giving P0102 & P0103, both MAF codes. Drivability symptoms include:

I have already needlessly changed the MAF sensor. looking for a push in the right direction. I'm not a mechanic but I am half smart and no how to follow clear and concise instructions.

Thank you in advance

I had P0101 popping up on my 2011 for about a year, but without any major drivability issues. Just couldn't get the Service Engine Soon light to stay off even after manually clearing it several times. Ended up having to take it to the dealer to have the ECM reprogrammed. The recommended steps to self-diagnose would be 1) use a MAF cleaner, 2) clean the throttle body and 3) replace dirty air filter (some people also think oiled filters like K&N cause issues as well). If cleaning doesn't work, buy an OEM sensor on Ebay for $20. You can clear the SES light with a series of ignition and accelerator sequences (I simply googled it). If that doesn't fix the problem, you may have to take it to the dealer to have the ECM reprogrammed. Dealerships like to bundle this service with replacing the sensor/cleaning so they can gouge you, but just tell them all of the things you already did and they should only charge you around $100-$150. Also, don't let them give you any BS about the sensor not being factory issued. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thank you in advance
I had P0101 popping up on my 2011 for about a year, but without any major drivability issues. Just couldn't get the Service Engine Soon light to stay off even after manually clearing it several times. Ended up having to take it to the dealer to have the ECM reprogrammed. The recommended steps to self-diagnose would be 1) use a MAF cleaner, 2) clean the throttle body and 3) replace dirty air filter (some people also think oiled filters like K&N cause issues as well). If cleaning doesn't work, buy an OEM sensor on Ebay for $20. You can clear the SES light with a series of ignition and accelerator sequences (I simply googled it). If that doesn't fix the problem, you may have to take it to the dealer to have the ECM reprogrammed. Dealerships like to bundle this service with replacing the sensor/cleaning so they can gouge you, but just tell them all of the things you already did and they should only charge you around $100-$150. Also, don't let them give you any BS about the sensor not being factory issued. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
The same thing happened to me - car idling rough. It started with me noting an odd odor coming from my exhaust followed by intermittent idling issues. It then advanced to throwing the codes and even stalled out. Turned out that my valve covers were leaking oil onto one of the ECM’s. Fixed the leak and replaced both ECM’s and the problem went away.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you in advance
Mas airflow sensor can be bad straight

·
Registered
2 Posts
sometimes the air mass flow sensor can be bad Straight Out of the Box from the parts store. Go back to auto parts store and get a new one go in the parking lot replace a real fast to see if it fixes or not. This is something I had to do with my Nissan Xterra 2002 3.3 as well due to the new mass air flow sensor Freudian bad from the parts store

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yes, but buying a cheap Chinese and unknown name part makes the risk of a dud slightly higher. I replaced mine today. It was originally a Hitachi part and I replaced it with a Hitachi part.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts