Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I have a 2000 Xterra pretty sure its the SE with 4wd that I am looking to upgrade a bit for offroad purposes. To keep costs down and after reading around these threads the route I am thinking of going is to do the PML for about a 1.5 inch Suspension lift and then upgrade the wheel size to 32 inch which people seem to say will fit without a major bodylift. I could do a 1inch bodylift also if needed so I dont get into the pricier lifts there. I also was planning on replacing the suspension with some rancho shocks while im at it to stiffin it up a bit. Just curious if I am missing anything or might run in to any issues I am not aware of, thanks again for all the info on these forums!

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,354 Posts
A two inch body lift is probably the same price as the one inch. Not sure if you’ll fit the 32s with no body lift.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,831 Posts
32’s will fit with some plastic trimming. PML is where we all started sounds like a plan. Body lift changes all kinds of things make certain you want to go that way before you do. If you’re doing a body lift go 2”

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
32’s will fit with some plastic trimming. PML is where we all started sounds like a plan. Body lift changes all kinds of things make certain you want to go that way before you do. If you’re doing a body lift go 2”
Sounds good will try the pml and trimming and see where that ends up. Anyone have experience with rancho suspension? Was gonna try and fit the ones for a 2.5 inch suspension lift when I replace the stock ones

·
Registered
91 Posts
Just make sure to read everything and understand it very well. One mistake I made initially with the PML was that I lifted both torsion bars so that I would have the recommended bump stop gap. What you really should do is lift both sides so that the amount lifted on both sides is the same. That’s why it’s important to measure both sides. I eventually corrected it.

I would also find an alignment shop ahead of time that could hit the recommended lift specs. Or get a camber caster gauge and check out Xterra Robs videos on YouTube about lift alignments, lifts, and other 1st gen related videos (he’s also a member of this forum, robcarync). You should still look at his videos bc they’re very informative. I did my own alignment because the 3 shops and 5 alignments I paid for didn’t work very well. This was before I fixed my problem above.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Just make sure to read everything and understand it very well. One mistake I made initially with the PML was that I lifted both torsion bars so that I would have the recommended bump stop gap. What you really should do is lift both sides so that the amount lifted on both sides is the same. That’s why it’s important to measure both sides. I eventually corrected it.

I would also find an alignment shop ahead of time that could hit the recommended lift specs. Or get a camber caster gauge and check out Xterra Robs videos on YouTube about lift alignments, lifts, and other 1st gen related videos (he’s also a member of this forum, robcarync). You should still look at his videos bc they’re very informative. I did my own alignment because the 3 shops and 5 alignments I paid for didn’t work very well. This was before I fixed my problem above.
I am familiar with xterra rob will check out more of his lift videos though for sure. As far as the process goes can I take the car to a tire shop and just get 32’s put on them trim some things if needed for clearance at home or will I need to order the tires and install them myself. Just like to know all the details before I do things

·
Registered
91 Posts
I am familiar with xterra rob will check out more of his lift videos though for sure. As far as the process goes can I take the car to a tire shop and just get 32’s put on them trim some things if needed for clearance at home or will I need to order the tires and install them myself. Just like to know all the details before I do things

You can buy the tires and install through a tire shop or just bring in your tires you purchased separately and have them install the tires on rims and balance them. Some places like buying the tires because of warranty and such but do whatever is cheaper or convenient for you.

I’d recommend avoiding a chain tire shop like Firestone because they might tell you the tires won’t fit or flat out refuse to install them. Plus their cost of install and balance is typically outrageous.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You can buy the tires and install through a tire shop or just bring in your tires you purchased separately and have them install the tires on rims and balance them. Some places like buying the tires because of warranty and such but do whatever is cheaper or convenient for you.

I’d recommend avoiding a chain tire shop like Firestone because they might tell you the tires won’t fit or flat out refuse to install them. Plus their cost of install and balance is typically outrageous.
Awesome thanks for the advice? I was looking at cooper discoverer at tires from Walmart because they are super cheap lol anyone ever tried those?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Awesome thanks for the advice? I was looking at cooper discoverer at tires from Walmart because they are super cheap lol anyone ever tried those?
they can’t be too bad. I got some cheap all terrains and they work fine, as far as I know. I won’t really know until they wear out and I get some new tires.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'd take it off-roading a few times, might be surprised of its capabilities. I don't have any lifts on mine, although I did do a small tire upgrade. Sometimes you're dropping more money than you think you need. Not all Mods will make you a pro-off-roader, it's more skill and experience that will have a larger effect. One thing I would do is remove your sway bars before you hit the trail. Definitely reattach them if it's your daily driver after you back on the road. Removing the Sway bars will definitely give your rig a little more flex. I'm sure there is a website that sells them, but it's called a drop pin. It's for quick release and reattachments of the sways. Hope this helps.
and also body trimming, I would do that before going with a larger suspension lift to fit larger tires. there is also tire offsets, where the tire sits further from the body, but you don't usually what that unless your doing sandy offroading terrain. There is also a technique called the "poor mans lift" where you change the position of the leaf springs from under the axle to above the axle. It changes the ride a bit, but does give a small lift.

·
Registered
34 Posts
they can’t be too bad. I got some cheap all terrains and they work fine, as far as I know. I won’t really know until they wear out and I get some new tires.
that's what I have on mine. They're pretty good. Not too loud, but they do have some noise while on the road. Haven't had them slip or spin while out on the trails. Have gone through sandy washes and soft dirt. Did have to go into 4x4, but they worked well. Defently a good budget tire set. The Cooper discovery tires

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd take it off-roading a few times, might be surprised of its capabilities. I don't have any lifts on mine, although I did do a small tire upgrade. Sometimes you're dropping more money than you think you need. Not all Mods will make you a pro-off-roader, it's more skill and experience that will have a larger effect. One thing I would do is remove your sway bars before you hit the trail. Definitely reattach them if it's your daily driver after you back on the road. Removing the Sway bars will definitely give your rig a little more flex. I'm sure there is a website that sells them, but it's called a drop pin. It's for quick release and reattachments of the sways. Hope this helps.
and also body trimming, I would do that before going with a larger suspension lift to fit larger tires. there is also tire offsets, where the tire sits further from the body, but you don't usually what that unless your doing sandy offroading terrain. There is also a technique called the "poor mans lift" where you change the position of the leaf springs from under the axle to above the axle. It changes the ride a bit, but does give a small lift.
I took it to uhwarrie which has some trails in my state, it handled most things really well stock I just had some clearance issues in a few spots and some traction issues in others, but for a stock off-roader it does super well.

·
Registered
34 Posts
i’d say for the clearance issue try unattaching the sway bars it will give you some more flex and for traction, sometimes slow and steady changes a lot, but sometimes goosing it is needed. i always try approaching slowly, ease it up. if it keeps slipping, i back up a bit, found my route, and goose it. tire upgrades with better traction could also help too. cooper discovery tires is what i have and they keep traction well. i’ve gone through super sandy washes here in arizona and i kept traction with 4x4 engaged

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i’d say for the clearance issue try unattaching the sway bars it will give you some more flex and for traction, sometimes slow and steady changes a lot, but sometimes goosing it is needed. i always try approaching slowly, ease it up. if it keeps slipping, i back up a bit, found my route, and goose it. tire upgrades with better traction could also help too. cooper discovery tires is what i have and they keep traction well. i’ve gone through super sandy washes here in arizona and i kept traction with 4x4 engaged
Yeah I did goose a bit, just some spots it was a bit close, but yeah a pml and some slightly bigger tires should be just fine for most trail riding

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yeah I did goose a bit, just some spots it was a bit close, but yeah a pml and some slightly bigger tires should be just fine for most trail riding
I would also look into skid plates if your X already doesn't have them. The problem with lifting the suspension is it messes with your center of gravity and the pumpkin on the axel will not raise or change. The body will have more clearance, but your axel stays the same. The only way to change that is to get larger tires, but larger tires also mean changing your center of gravity and adding more weight to your rig. Your engine will need to send more power to the axels to spin the larger, heavier tires

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Yeah that’s why I was wanting 32’s so it doesn’t add too much but will raise the pumpkin lol

·
Registered
34 Posts
i know there are some facebook groups and some on here, but there’s caravan off-roading groups. they meet up on weekends and it’s all xterra owners. i’d go to one of those to see different set ups and to also test your own rig. beauty with off-roading caravans, is that you can do A LOT more risky trails cause theirs 5-30 other rigs that could pull you out if you get stuck
happy trailing!!! baby your X

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i know there are some facebook groups and some on here, but there’s caravan off-roading groups. they meet up on weekends and it’s all xterra owners. i’d go to one of those to see different set ups and to also test your own rig. beauty with off-roading caravans, is that you can do A LOT more risky trails cause theirs 5-30 other rigs that could pull you out if you get stuck
happy trailing!!! baby your X
oh that sounds cool! I went with family that all have winches and stuff so I could drive a little riskier with it being stock which was nice.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts