Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had a little noise for at least the last year that seems to be worse now. I really noticed it last summer after a long road trip. I can't hear it in the cab but when i get next to a building i can hear it.

To me it sounds like a wheel bearing going out. It's a fairly high pitch but not very loud. It seems to only occur when rolling forward. It sounds more like it's coming from the front. Possible louder on the drivers side but hard to tell from inside the cab. Definitely related to when I'm moving and doesn't seem to happen when rolling backwards.

Any other ideas are welcome. I figure I'm due for a well bearing repack anyway but I'd rather fix as may issues as possible while I have it in the garage. I also plan to change all the fluids (diff, trans case, transmission, etc.) and lube all the grease points.

Thanks

·
Registered
358 Posts
Brakes? Try driving it then when you hear the noise, press lightly on the brakes, then harder and harder and see if the noise changes.

If that doesn't change anything, then try turning the steering wheel and see if the sound changes.

The purpose of doing something different when you hear the sound is to see what affects the sound. If you do something and the sound changes, then the problem is is the area of what you changed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Doesn't seem to be the brakes. But to be honest it's really hard to hear the noise in the cab. What I need to do is get a buddy to drive it nice and slow while I walk next to it.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
358 Posts
Should have said this first... Jack up the front end of the Xterra.

Put your hands at 12:00 and 6:00 on the wheel and rock it in and out. If the wheel moves or you hear a clicking noise, then the wheel bearing is bad.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.