Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 01 3.3l and during the summer I noticed that there was a humming sound from under the truck after running it. The humming was stop if I opened the fuel fill cap. There was also a rush of air at the same time.

I got under it today when it made the noise again and it was coming from the water separator. If I reached up and pressed on it I could make the sound stop and start so I know it is the part causing the issue.

My question is, is this part bad or is it normal for it to vent if another part goes bad?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No. 3.3L v6 gasoline.

There is a part on the diagram, and in the Nissan parts manual. I thought it was odd as well.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
$14 from the dealer and he will have it tomorrow so I ordered it.

Looks like two vacuum likes and a bracket are all that hold it so replacement should be easy.

I read a thread on another forum here, http://xterrafirma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=7682, that the P1441 code was thrown due to a cracked water separator. I get that code from time to time, once a tank or so and I reset it. Already got a new cap.

Thinking this makes sense as next place to look as I don't think it should make noise or touching it should stop the noise. I live in Michigan, water freezes and expands so that could cause a crack.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
You can weight the evap canister on a bath scale and if weight more than 6 lb its dead all so check all the hose connectors they crack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts