Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had a shop change the timing belt on my 2004 xterra and now there's a weird and prominent humming/whirring noise. The noise is very audible and happens only when the engine is warm and at idle. As soon as you step on the gas it goes away. It doesn't get louder or change frequency/tone with speed. It is not a rattle or squealing noise. If you let it sit long enough at idle, the engine will make a click noise and the sound subsides, when it clicks again the noise is back.

They tore back into it (four times) looking for the source and couldn't pinpoint anything. The timing belt tensioner is new/was replaced (according to them) and I'm fairly sure the tension is correct. Does the belt just need to be broken in? Ideas? I just don't want things to go to $hit down the road. Thanks.

·
Registered
476 Posts
My 04 makes the same noise. I freaked and took it to the shop after having it done they tore into and checked said everything was cool. I got a cousin that's a mechanic, he's checked and said everthing was cool. I had mine changed around 87,000 and its about to click 95,000 so far no problems just the noise.

It did it alot worse when I 1st had the belt changed. It doesn't do it every time its started now just when its cold. Like once u drive somewhere go in and come back out it doesn't do it. I wouldn't worry about to much

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
mine makes the same noise I've had people think my SE editions means its supercharged cause it whines...had mine changed about 8k miles ago and no problems yet!
He's what mine sounds like cold start in the morning

·
Registered
760 Posts
I just changed my belt at around 107k. No noise or humming. I have an '02 XEV6. The only noise is the initial chirp/squeal of the belt on startup. Otherwise nothing while driving/idling.

·
Silver Submarine
10,979 Posts
That noise means the TB is too tight. Tell them they set the tension to tight and it has to be reset. It will lesson the life of the TB. The deflection should be 1/2" with 20lbs of downward pressure between the 2 cam shaft sprockets.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't sound like anything in the video. I'll try and post a video clip or something in the next day or two.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Hmm lol I don't know then, and I've tried taking mine back to them and their exact words are something like "its just the nissan/datsun engines, after they get old they whine" they said mine was A-OKAY so I'm trusting them.

·
Silver Submarine
10,979 Posts
Hmm lol I don't know then, and I've tried taking mine back to them and their exact words are something like "its just the nissan/datsun engines, after they get old they whine" they said mine was A-OKAY so I'm trusting them.
Take it from a guy that knows. Your TB is too tight! Other guys that know that sound will agree with me. Its up to you to believe them when they say its "normal" but if it was normal why doesn't every Xterra sound like yours? Did it sound like that before the TB? They are lazy and don't want to do the work to fix it cause its gonna be on their dime but your belt will stretch and wear faster than normal which will eventually cause the belt to fail. Either get it fixed now or risk the chance of a broken belt and damage to your motor. Its a simple adjustment that might take 1.5 hours from start to finish. Tell them you want it fixed right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't the noise get louder/whinier as you accelerate if the belt was too tight? The sound goes away in my X as soon as you touch the gas pedal.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Mine makes a whine. 2001. I have had it since the timing belt change. Our mech has claimed to have tightened it to 22lbs with 1/2 in deflection. As per service manual. He said it would stretch out. I am about to pay nissan to diagnose it. Basically I want a confirmation so I don't change it if thats not the problem

·
Registered
125 Posts
whirring

x2 on the tight timing belt, I changed my TB at 230k, decent tightness and ended up whirring on me, figured it was too tight but never adjusted it down, the belt ended up stretching and the whirring quit, but stretched is not good and results with lower TB life.

·
Registered
125 Posts
more

I have to add though, the chirp you are saying makes me ask, does the sound correspond to your A/C being on or off? Turn it on with the button and see if the whirring immediately appears...

·
Maul Crawler
1,630 Posts
Take it from a guy that knows. Your TB is too tight! Other guys that know that sound will agree with me. Its up to you to believe them when they say its "normal" but if it was normal why doesn't every Xterra sound like yours? Did it sound like that before the TB? They are lazy and don't want to do the work to fix it cause its gonna be on their dime but your belt will stretch and wear faster than normal which will eventually cause the belt to fail. Either get it fixed now or risk the chance of a broken belt and damage to your motor. Its a simple adjustment that might take 1.5 hours from start to finish. Tell them you want it fixed right.
Mike and I are both "Guys who know" when it comes to this.

Here's the problem, most mechanics are used to the 1/4 inch deflection as the rule--Nissan is whacky as the specs in Haynes clearly state .51 inches deflection like Mike said. Trust me, we sat there and both looked at each other and checked and rechecked--cause it's gonna look too loose--but it isn't .

Here's my noise when mine was too tight:

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r185/CISO1969/?action=view&current=072.mp4

Get it fixed, it's not the old school 1/4 inch rule and they need to listen to you. OK now try convincing them it only takes 3.5 quarts of oil :)

CISO

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Ok thats the noise it makes!!^^^
Here is my problem, my dad isn't the biggest mechanics guy, infact we have like no tools at home so I buy them all so he doesn't know much about cars. He tells me to take it to a place called "BG Muffler" its the place who did all the work including the timing belt. I ran it up there 2 times since then and they always say its ok. I guess I'm going to have to go in there demanding they fix it...but its been since may of this year when they did it. The whine is actually really annoying when driving.
And if they says it is ok for a 3rd time I'm going to take it to nissan and get them to diagnose it and print out a paper to fix the timing belt then take it to the muffler shop (I know a freaking muffler shop) and show them that the dealership says it needs to be fixed!
Shew...sorry for a rant.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have to add though, the chirp you are saying makes me ask, does the sound correspond to your A/C being on or off? Turn it on with the button and see if the whirring immediately appears...
I have tried it numerous times, no difference. Doesn't matter if the fan or A/C is on or off.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Finally!

Mike and I are both "Guys who know" when it comes to this.

Here's the problem, most mechanics are used to the 1/4 inch deflection as the rule--Nissan is whacky as the specs in Haynes clearly state .51 inches deflection like Mike said. Trust me, we sat there and both looked at each other and checked and rechecked--cause it's gonna look too loose--but it isn't .

Here's my noise when mine was too tight:

http://s144.photobucket.com/albums/r185/CISO1969/?action=view&current=072.mp4

Get it fixed, it's not the old school 1/4 inch rule and they need to listen to you. OK now try convincing them it only takes 3.5 quarts of oil :)

CISO
Finally I found the source to the noise in my X! I have been searching for this for months and finally I can confirm that the timing belt is too tight. I had a friend of mine replace it and took it back to him saying I thought that was what it was but he said there is no way. How hard is it to adjust it? I was about to rip the whole thing apart because it is so annoying. Do you basically just take all the drive belts off and then the timing belt cover to make the adjustment? I am now learning to do all of the work on my X from now on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hiya man.

Yes you have to take out the radiator.
Then remove all of the serpentine belts.
Take off the two pulley brackets. Also you will need to remove the crankshaft pulley. Then you can take off the timing belt cover and viola! The bottom left you will see a smaller'ish pulley. Loosen the bolt that holds it on and adjust it to add/decrease tension on the Timing Belt.

I JUST replaced my timing belt today. Also doing ball joints/tie rods/shocks/brakes.. o MY!

You will need a pulley puller to remove the crankshaft pulley. Be careful and DONT use air tools on the pulley puller to do this. I did, and snapped off a big chunk of my crankshaft pulley :( Waiting for new one to arrive so I can button it up haha

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hiya man.

Yes you have to take out the radiator.
Then remove all of the serpentine belts.
Take off the two pulley brackets. Also you will need to remove the crankshaft pulley. Then you can take off the timing belt cover and viola! The bottom left you will see a smaller'ish pulley. Loosen the bolt that holds it on and adjust it to add/decrease tension on the Timing Belt.

I JUST replaced my timing belt today. Also doing ball joints/tie rods/shocks/brakes.. o MY!

You will need a pulley puller to remove the crankshaft pulley. Be careful and DONT use air tools on the pulley puller to do this. I did, and snapped off a big chunk of my crankshaft pulley :( Waiting for new one to arrive so I can button it up haha
Thanks for the info - I plan to tackle this during some time off I have at Christmas. I will have to get a pulley puller. I CAN'T WAIT for that noise to be gone. It is driving me crazy.

Sounds like you have a lot going on with your X! Good luck!

·
Maul Crawler
1,630 Posts
Yes to fix it you have to take it all apart again -radiator and all. What sucks is that's more antifreeze--unless you drain it all into clean containers etc.

Heres the good news...to DIAGNOSE that it is too tight you only need to remove the accessory belts and the covers to get to the timing belt to check deflection. It's still an hours worth of work for a mechanic --so at least $85 -and he can continue and fix it if it is too tight. Most Timing belt jobs are billed at about 4-5 hours. It can be done much quicker than that, but expect that as the norm.

CISO

1 - 20 of 24 Posts