Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys and sorry for this long post. My friend has an 04 Xterra and we were fixing a coolant leak that was under the intake plenum so the plenum had to come off. Well it was getting late and I decided to finish the job the next day. We had to move the car forward so the battery was hooked up and I told him to put it in neutral. When he turned the key he said he heard a clicking noise and the check engine started blinking. Well the next day we finished the job and I noticed that I didn't have the ground that gets connected to the top of the plenum on when we turned the key the night before. Well now the car won't start, has no spark and if we connect a scanner to the obdll port it says that it cannot connect with the car to read it. I need help. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Racerxxl, yes all of the Gauge lights come on and everything inside the cab works. I also forgot to mention that the car does crank. The problem is that it has no spark.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,092 Posts
Hi Racerxxl, yes all of the Gauge lights come on and everything inside the cab works. I also forgot to mention that the car does crank. The problem is that it has no spark.
Pull the distributor cap and check that the rotor is turning when engine is being cranked. It will probably be turning but knock it off the list.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thxs Racerxxl but I already did that.
I'm trying to cancel out the computer as the problem but it is looking more and more like a computer problem. I was also told the computer has a relay I need to check and also a fuse but, I cant find the fuse. Do you know where the ECM fuse is?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wanted to update what was happening as of now. It seems that the ECU has gone bad. Has anyone here ever changed an ECU and is it possible to buy one from a Junk Yard and have it reprogrammed. Please let me know. Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hey I am having the exact same issue after swapping a valve cover gasket.. no spark, and a link error on the scanner.. I have swapped the iac, plugs, wires, cap and rotor(in the last few months) ran fine when we tore it down, now nothing.. I was really hoping it wasnt an ecm, and my buddy that worked at Nissan for years thinks something shut it down.. but the only two things I can come up with is either a camshaft sensor or the ECM.. any updates? Mine is an 04 as well.. the rotor is turning so it's not the timing belt, but I'm am at a loss..

·
Registered
57 Posts
I had the same problem when I did the head gaskets on mine. There are two ground wires that go to the upper intake, close to the wiring harness and spark plug wires (10mm bolt). I forgot to connect one of them which happened to be the ground for the crankshaft position sensor and ECM. fried my ECM and had to replace it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Ok I will look at that.. just out of curiosity did you guys go with a used ecm or new and how much was it to have it programmed

·
Registered
57 Posts
I pulled the old ECM and got a used one with the same part number. no programing needed and the ECM itself cost me like $150 from eBay

·
Registered
3 Posts
So got an update.. Used a state 2 scanner with better software and it gave me an ignition power failure fault? Got everything torn out to pull the ecm, to test it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts