Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2000 xterra and it won't start. First thing I noticed is there is no check engine light. At all. Not even when the truck isn't running. Idk if the bulb is burned out or not but I don't think it is. Next I moved on to the fuse box under the hood. Both 80 amp ING fused are appear to be nothing but corrosion. As far as I can tell that is an isue as well i tryed jumping them but no change. Where else should I investigate?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Previous owner stated that they replaced the fuel pump on a whim because they could not hear any action when trying to start it.it didn't fix anything so they tryed some basic diagnosis and they found out it also had no spark.... I verified no spark and also I cannot hear the fuel pump engage. On My other 2000 xterra the fuel pump can be heard easily enough. And so it sat for 4-5 years till i showed up to give it some love and affection.

Attachments

·
Registered
444 Posts
Sounds like electrical gremlins...start with electrical contact cleaner on every single electrical connection you can find including fuses, and i mean everywhere, and while you have them apart to clean, put small amount of dielectric grease on the spades of the fuses and connections and this will ensure later electrical problems in those areas are not happening...then start at the alternator...have it tested, then the distributor, make sure the numbers match. Also make sure you're replacing all of the fuses just for S&g's...that's where I would start personally

Darin
01 Xterra SE 4x4
COMING SOON:
Intake mod, timing belt, hoses, belts
Wish list:
PML, EFan conversion, shocks, 32" tires, and eventually UCA'S

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I spent the day checking fuses and connections. everything looks in good condition. Next i checked the distributor. I pulled the one out of the vehicle that I am working on it and placed it into my daily driver set it all up and it fired right up and no issues at all. That tells me it's not the distributor. The fuel pump does work but not through the vehicle connections. I was able to hook it up to a battery to get it to engage and Pump Fuel. I have not got to the alternator yet it is also on my to-do list to have checked.
Back to my original concern. No check engine light is visible at all. I'm thinking that maybe this is a brain issue.
Any other suggestions would be helpful. Electrical really isn't my area of expertise.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well I busted out the manual and made some progress. I have come to the conclusion that my problem is either the PCM or the PCM relay. I will share the information below. Let me know if you think I'm right. Go through the pictures below in order.

Attachments

·
Registered
384 Posts
My dad once was stranded because of the fuel sending unit. The truck would crank over and over but would not start. things around the fuel pump rot to hell. Also his fuel gauge was inoperable, always showing empty until fixed.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I check my fuel sending unit and it turned out to be good the guy who owned it before me replace that before he gave up on it. And I double checked it when I was looking at it the day before yesterday that does power up and my fuel gauge does Read

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my assumption was correct. the PCM relay was inoperable. while I was down there I undid the plug for the PCM to make sure it was clean and put them back. (Make sure to tighten that bolt!) turn the key and the truck fired right up. Granted it ran like shit for a few seconds because all of the programming had been erased from the memory but so far everything seems good there is a new check engine light code also the check engine light came back on from never been seen before. First gear is destroyed but other than that she drove just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.