Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving our '00 4 cyl, man Xterra and it died. Towed it home and charged the battery, checked the terminals. Headlights work, radio works, heater, r fan works but no crank no click, nothing. Headlights do not dim when the key is turned to start so something is interrupting the trons through the ignition to the starter. Any input would be appreciated. Did a search but every one of these problems has its own life so....

·
Registered
808 Posts
Maybe check the fuses under the hood. Sounds like you may have no power to the starter.my first guess but maybe someone else has a better idea.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Connections on the starter loose or corroded? If you see no power drain, you are right, the starter isn't even engaging. Fuse is a good idea, but if that doesn't bear fruit I would definitely check grounds as well.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
UPDATE Checked the IGN fuses, all good as well as wiring too the starter. Got up under the dash and noticed that there is a ignition cutout system (anti theft) device installed (spliced into the red and yellow ignition wires). Bought the vehicle used and never noticed or even knew it was there. I will now uninstall the device and see what that does.....

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well disconnected the theft device and soldered the wires. Still no crank. I am going to start checking the battery to starter voltage and the solenoid voltage. Any other ideas I'm all ears. BTW Merry Christmas to all!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey All.
I too, had a similar issue on my 2012 xterra, but my solution, after 4 hrs of mucking about, was something so simplistic (and stupid) that I have to share. Here is hoping you can avoid hours of new and colourful language, with my experience.

So my symptoms were:
Power to dash
lights, radio etc all working
Battery good.
No click just nothing on key turn.

What I did:
Charged and checked battery (all good)
Check alternator output (Jumped/bump started) (all good)
Checked clutch switch (all good)
Check every @#$'n fuse there is. (all good)
Pulled starter and bench tested (all good)
Re-installed starter and jump tested in place (all good; engine turned; should have done this in the first place)
Cussed, stomped my feet, and cursed the auto gods and Nissan engineers .
Broke for lunch

So I regrouped.

I decided to get under the foot well, pull the clutch switch out and test it properly (Used a paperclip earlier, and I wasn't confident on the result). Tested the switch and all was, you guest it, good. It was at that point with my head buried under the steering wheel, that I observed a second plunger switch. I depressed the clutch all the way and the button on the switch passed right through a hole in that clutch pedal assembly. Yes, this is where I had my epiphany and experienced the "oh ffs" moment. I looked on the floor mat and there it was...a grommet that had warn through and fell off, leaving nothing to activate/deactivate the switch. [insert more cussing]. With the vehicle out of gear (manual trans), i depressed the plunger switch with my finger, and turned the key...she started. This is where the auto gods and the engineers at Nissan would have felt their ears burning with the me commenting on the design of the clutch peddle assembly (some cussing may have been included, but I can't recall).

So, I just happen to have saved a few body work grommets from our Isuzu Rodeo and one fit perfectly in place of the one that broke. What a stupid design.
Anyway, should you have a similar experience with a no engine start scenario, have a quick look at the little rubber stoppers that engage the clutch switch(S) and particularly the one in the back, against the firewall, to see if is still there. Best of luck!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All.
I too, had a similar issue on my 2012 xterra, but my solution, after 4 hrs of mucking about, was something so simplistic (and stupid) that I have to share. Here is hoping you can avoid hours of new and colourful language, with my experience.

So my symptoms were:
Power to dash
Battery good.

What I did:
Re-installed starter and jump tested in place (all good; engine turned; should have done this in the first place)
Broke for lunch

So I regrouped.

I decided to get under the foot well, pull the clutch switch out and test it properly (Used a paperclip earlier, and I wasn't confident on the result). Tested the switch and all was, you guest it, good. It was at that point with my head buried under the steering wheel, that I observed a second plunger switch. I depressed the clutch all the way and the button on the switch passed right through a hole in that clutch pedal assembly. Yes, this is where I had my epiphany and experienced the "oh ffs" moment. I looked on the floor mat and there it was...a grommet that had warn through and fell off, leaving nothing to activate/deactivate the switch. [insert more cussing]. With the vehicle out of gear (manual trans), i depressed the plunger switch with my finger, and turned the key...she started. This is where the auto gods and the engineers at Nissan would have felt their ears burning with the me commenting on the design of the clutch peddle assembly (some cussing may have been included, but I can't recall).
View attachment 74223 View attachment 74222

So, I just happen to have saved a few body work grommets from our Isuzu Rodeo and one fit perfectly in place of the one that broke. What a stupid design.
Anyway, should you have a similar experience with a no engine start scenario, have a quick look at the little rubber stoppers that engage the clutch switch(S) and particularly the one in the back, against the firewall, to see if is still there. Best of luck!
View attachment 74221
Sorry you had to go through the pain but you saved my butt big time.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey All.

So my symptoms were:
Power to dash
Battery good.

What I did:
Broke for lunch

So I regrouped.

View attachment 74223 View attachment 74222

View attachment 74221
Is this only on a manual and not automatic?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I stick a little pad that you put on cabinet doors to keep them from slamming on my brake pedal switch - similar design but for brake lights - Just stuck it on there. Been three years, still working.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts