Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 2001 Xterra 3.3L 170,000 miles. It died while idling and would not restart, code 340 came up cam position sensor.
As it broke down next to an Advanced Auto parts I went ahead and replaced the distributor, the engine immediately started and car ran normally I was able to delete code (Knock sensor code still comes up and has for a while).
After running fine for about a week the car started to run real rough and died on side of road. Code 340 had returned. Removed the distributor and got a warranty replacement thinking I got a bad dist and again the engine started right up and ran normally for another 3-4 days, no new codes except knock sensor. Then last week it stalled code 340 again, I got it to restart after some difficulty but lost all power over 3000 rpm. Then it died and could not restart.

Checked grounds and power going into the dist and it checked out OK (did not check signals to ECM). Just for kicks I put the original Nissan Dist back in and and engine fired right up.
I checked over wiring harness and cannot find any chaffed or lose connections.

What else could give code 340 as it seems it is not the cam shaft sensor itself. I'm afraid to drive it as I don't think I've found the real cause of the 340 code.

Thanks,
Clay

·
Registered
121 Posts
Aftermarket distributors are very hit or miss on this engine. I had the same code, threw in the old one and it’s good still. Just yesterday was having trouble and took the bad one apart and mix and matched parts, I bet if you did a little research and took the cam sensor out of your old one and swapped it into a new failed one you could be in luck, very easy to do. Something about the electronics in aftermarket distributors for this engine is hard for companies to replicate or something along those lines.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Aftermarket distributors are very hit or miss on this engine. I had the same code, threw in the old one and it’s good still. Just yesterday was having trouble and took the bad one apart and mix and matched parts, I bet if you did a little research and took the cam sensor out of your old one and swapped it into a new failed one you could be in luck, very easy to do. Something about the electronics in aftermarket distributors for this engine is hard for companies to replicate or something along those lines.
its the fact the cam sensor is magnetic based and most aftermarket ones the magnet is smaller so you still get the code

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've got a 2001 Xterra 3.3L 170,000 miles. It died while idling and would not restart, code 340 came up cam position sensor.
As it broke down next to an Advanced Auto parts I went ahead and replaced the distributor, the engine immediately started and car ran normally I was able to delete code (Knock sensor code still comes up and has for a while).
After running fine for about a week the car started to run real rough and died on side of road. Code 340 had returned. Removed the distributor and got a warranty replacement thinking I got a bad dist and again the engine started right up and ran normally for another 3-4 days, no new codes except knock sensor. Then last week it stalled code 340 again, I got it to restart after some difficulty but lost all power over 3000 rpm. Then it died and could not restart.

Checked grounds and power going into the dist and it checked out OK (did not check signals to ECM). Just for kicks I put the original Nissan Dist back in and and engine fired right up.
I checked over wiring harness and cannot find any chaffed or lose connections.

What else could give code 340 as it seems it is not the cam shaft sensor itself. I'm afraid to drive it as I don't think I've found the real cause of the 340 code.

Thanks,
Clay
check crank sensors as well, i know your ciode is for cam sensor but the cam and crank sensors work in tandem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about replacing crank sensor just to eliminate that possibility.
I've got the new dist and the original back in the truck, I may go ahead and try taking the sensor/magnet out of the original Nissan dist and put into the new aftermarket.

Is there an aftermarket distributor that can be relied on?

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
Thanks for the info, I was thinking about replacing crank sensor just to eliminate that possibility.
I've got the new dist and the original back in the truck, I may go ahead and try taking the sensor/magnet out of the original Nissan dist and put into the new aftermarket.

Is there an aftermarket distributor that can be relied on?
i had 2 autozone gold ones that i never had issues with, one in my 98 pathfinder 3.3 and one in my 2000 xterra 3.3 the autozone gold ones are the recommended aftermarket ones here, was the one you got from advanced rebuilt or new? if you cghnage the crank sensor DO NOT go aftermarket, get a nissan one or Hitatchi brand new one from somewhere like rockauto (Hitatchi is OEM maker for these sensors)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i had 2 autozone gold ones that i never had issues with, one in my 98 pathfinder 3.3 and one in my 2000 xterra 3.3 the autozone gold ones are the recommended aftermarket ones here, was the one you got from advanced rebuilt or new? if you cghnage the crank sensor DO NOT go aftermarket, get a nissan one or Hitatchi brand new one from somewhere like rockauto (Hitatchi is OEM maker for these sensors)
The Advance Auto distributor was a Carquest Part# T58600 (New)
Thanks for info on the crank sensor

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Reman hitachi distributer fixed issue. Nissan parts manager said they often have issues with aftermarket dist, and now only use remanufactured hitachi

1 - 8 of 8 Posts