Nissan XTerra Forum banner

No power

2K views 34 replies 7 participants last post by  XT2015 
#1 ·
I have an 02 Nissan Xterra that I just bought in may… I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, distributor cap, compressor, rotary button, ac & battery relays, plugs & wires & changed the oil. There’s rough idle when in gear & have no power when accelerating & hard to maintain speed. It also has to be jumped when it sits overnight & uses twice as much gas. I took to a mechanic who 1st said he thought it was the camshaft sensor but then he diagnosed it as the timing belt has stretch. What would make the timing belt stretch? Is there n e body that may have had this problem & figured out the solution? please let me know if so, thanks in advance

#3 ·
This is only speculation based on your description of the problem, but if you have replaced the timing belt with a brand new belt it should not have stretched unless the cam shafts were stuck and unable to rotate during startup.
If the diagnosis of a stretched timing belt is correct you should have your mechanic check and possibly replace the bearings for the cam shafts. If those bearings are worn out for some reason it will cause the belt to experience excessive tension during startup and it would have also caused the belt to slip a tooth or two which would have thrown the timing off.

#6 ·
Timing belts stretch over time they are basically a reinforced rubber belt hence why they need to be changed. Short term if it was not tensioned correctly the process of the belt stretching is accelerated. How long that would take is anyones guess.

Answering the questions listed in the above post will help us to help you.

#9 ·
I would start with any codes come up? Next fuel filter, then vacuum leaks, (I did my entire vacuum system) next I see what you've done, I don't think could be off it's mark but check? Also I was the one who mentioned MAF sensor! Did you check? Be reminded not to buy junk sensors (off online Amazon) only new Hitachi factory parts.

#18 ·
Wow, this is messed up. I'm trying to make sense of what has been done. You answer the same question several times, but don't clearly answer a single question. I need some clarification, and others might as well.

So, please answer these questions clearly:
  1. Was it running poorly before changing the timing belt?
  2. After you changed the timing belt, did you do any other changes (rotor, cap, plugs, etc.) before starting the engine?
I just changed the t-belt on my 2004 and it runs better than before. I goofed it up a bit, too. I forgot to turn the engine to TDC before removing the old belt but was still able to line it up and get it to run right on the first try.

If it runs, then you're not out 180°. If you were, it would not run because when it expected to fire #1 based on TDC for the pistons, it would be trying to fire #4 at the distributor.

#22 ·
I’m sorry for being confusing, let me try to clarify….
The truck ran fine the day I bought it but the next day it died while driving & it was bc the timing belt broke & about 7 teeth was totally gone. While changing the timing belt, we changed the plugs, wires, rotary button, distributor cap, compressor & water pump… (I think that was all) when all put back the mpg was terrible & I had no power…does that help clarify my issues

#32 ·
Just gonna touch base with the ones that’s have responded to my no power post in july my Xterra is STILL not working… since we changed distributor at the end of july, it hasn’t started since but I’m still hopeful that tomorrow will be the day We find the problem & I get to drive it once again….

#34 ·
Ok FINALLY got truck to start after many many hours of work. Went back & started with timing belt. Got the timing right, put everything back together & now oil is shooting out everywhere…is there gonna be a point where it will be fixed or am I wasting time & money trying to fix it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.