Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 Nissan Xterra that I just bought in may… I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, distributor cap, compressor, rotary button, ac & battery relays, plugs & wires & changed the oil. There’s rough idle when in gear & have no power when accelerating & hard to maintain speed. It also has to be jumped when it sits overnight & uses twice as much gas. I took to a mechanic who 1st said he thought it was the camshaft sensor but then he diagnosed it as the timing belt has stretch. What would make the timing belt stretch? Is there n e body that may have had this problem & figured out the solution? please let me know if so, thanks in advance

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
I have an 02 Nissan Xterra that I just bought in may… I have replaced the timing belt, water pump, distributor cap, compressor, rotary button, ac & battery relays, plugs & wires & changed the oil. There’s rough idle when in gear & have no power when accelerating & hard to maintain speed. It also has to be jumped when it sits overnight & uses twice as much gas. I took to a mechanic who 1st said he thought it was the camshaft sensor but then he diagnosed it as the timing belt has stretch. What would make the timing belt stretch? Is there n e body that may have had this problem & figured out the solution? please let me know if so, thanks in advance
Is the original distributor still in the vehicle? Have you checked the ignition timing? Did the rough idle coincide with any of the service operations?

·
Registered
Xterra SE 4x4 V6 NA
181 Posts
This is only speculation based on your description of the problem, but if you have replaced the timing belt with a brand new belt it should not have stretched unless the cam shafts were stuck and unable to rotate during startup.
If the diagnosis of a stretched timing belt is correct you should have your mechanic check and possibly replace the bearings for the cam shafts. If those bearings are worn out for some reason it will cause the belt to experience excessive tension during startup and it would have also caused the belt to slip a tooth or two which would have thrown the timing off.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the original distributor still in the vehicle? Have you checked the ignition timing? Did the rough idle coincide with any of the service operations?
No the original distributor is not in vehicle. No we have not checked ignition timing, not sure how to check that. I’m not sure what ur referring to as service operations (I’m having a blonde moment I guess)

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,333 Posts
Timing belts stretch over time they are basically a reinforced rubber belt hence why they need to be changed. Short term if it was not tensioned correctly the process of the belt stretching is accelerated. How long that would take is anyones guess.

Answering the questions listed in the above post will help us to help you.

·
Registered
291 Posts
OK, On my 2002 and 2003 I owned both, it could be MAF mass air flow sensor or TPS throttle position sensor (I've changed three MAF in one year) note buy quality parts and check part in box. TPS needs to be set @.050 with volt meter. Or also could be bad O2 sensor

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
2,151 Posts
No the original distributor is not in vehicle. No we have not checked ignition timing, not sure how to check that. I’m not sure what ur referring to as service operations (I’m having a blonde moment I guess)
Where did you go? Thought we would get more answers from you so we could work through this.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I would start with any codes come up? Next fuel filter, then vacuum leaks, (I did my entire vacuum system) next I see what you've done, I don't think could be off it's mark but check? Also I was the one who mentioned MAF sensor! Did you check? Be reminded not to buy junk sensors (off online Amazon) only new Hitachi factory parts.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I would start with any codes come up? Next fuel filter, then vacuum leaks, (I did my entire vacuum system) next I see what you've done, I don't think could be off it's mark but check? Also I was the one who mentioned MAF sensor! Did you check? Be reminded not to buy junk sensors (off online Amazon) only new Hitachi factory parts.
we now have changed distributor & truck won’t start.. what’s a MAF sensor?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Did the rough idle start after the vehicle was serviced, specifically after the distributor was changed or after the timing belt service?
Timing belt change (look up You tube video) Did you line marks up on both cam gears? And the mark on the crank shaft roughly at 5:00pm area on crankshaft with marks on the belt? And make it's not 180 degrees out!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any codes come up?
No codes came back
Did the rough idle start after the vehicle was serviced, specifically after the distributor was changed or after the timing belt service?
Any codes come up?
No
No codes came up? How can we check the MAF sensor or is replacing the only way to check it?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Any codes come up?
No
Timing belt change (look up You tube video) Did you line marks up on both cam gears? And the mark on the crank shaft roughly at 5:00pm area on crankshaft with marks on the belt? And make it's not 180 degrees out!
no marks on cam gears nor belt. Does it need to be or not to be 180 degrees

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where did you go? Thought we would get more answers from you so we could work through this.
Yes after timing belt change but distributor was just changed this past weekend so it was already running rough but now it’s not running at all

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,733 Posts
Wow, this is messed up. I'm trying to make sense of what has been done. You answer the same question several times, but don't clearly answer a single question. I need some clarification, and others might as well.

So, please answer these questions clearly:
  1. Was it running poorly before changing the timing belt?
  2. After you changed the timing belt, did you do any other changes (rotor, cap, plugs, etc.) before starting the engine?
I just changed the t-belt on my 2004 and it runs better than before. I goofed it up a bit, too. I forgot to turn the engine to TDC before removing the old belt but was still able to line it up and get it to run right on the first try.

If it runs, then you're not out 180°. If you were, it would not run because when it expected to fire #1 based on TDC for the pistons, it would be trying to fire #4 at the distributor.

·
Registered
291 Posts
No codes came back

No

No codes came up? How can we check the MAF sensor or is replacing the only way to check it?
In one year, my X went thru 3 MAF sensors, symptoms were running rough, no power, I replaced with AutoZone unit, be careful open box and check when buying,(someone had put used one back in box and cheated AutoZone.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts