Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got a question for everyone. 2007 X Automatic. Rad swap. PMF done. Slight SMOD at the time but I caught it early.

The error code for the Park Neutral thing has been on for a year P0850. Truck drove great until last night.

Leaving to go somewhere last night, truck backed out fine. Truck shifted fine. Got to the end of my subdivision and went to pull out on the highway and heard a loud whine followed by a clunk then nothing. Wouldn’t shift into any gears. The display on the dash showed I was shifting gears but no power. Turned it off and on again and it drove to my house which is < 1000 feet from where I was. Still whining and delay shifting from 1 into 2.

This morning, got in. Started up fine. Put it in gear and nothing. Display shows it being put in different gears so I don’t think it’s the shift cable as all the videos I’ve seen show the display staying in P. I haven’t checked it yet but that’s on my list of things to do today if it’ll ever stop raining. That’s an easy check I know.

went and did some stuff and a few hours later, shifted. Whines. Then nothing. I can go thru the selectors for gears and nothing. Just rolls backwards BC my driveway slants.

Last PMF was about 2000 miles ago.

So I’m guessing I’m just SOL. Tranny dead? Torque converter dead? Any idea where to start? It won’t drive so I’ll have to tow it but my neighbor owns a towing company so he won’t charge me.

TL;dr - shitty transmission. Shows it changes gears but won’t actually do anything. Am I SOL?

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 V6
8,883 Posts
Well I have no idea what’s a PMF or a SMOD is but you’re most likely SOL
PMF you have me as well.

SMOD is an acronym in the Nissan forums referring the issue with Gen 2 Xterra’s, and a few other Nissan vehicles, where the trans cooler corrupts and allows coolant and ATF to mix and in turn destroying the trans.

SMOD = Stawberry Milkshake Of Death referring to the color and consistency of the mixed ATF and coolant.

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Well I have no idea what’s a PMF or a SMOD is but you’re most likely SOL
SMOD is the strawberry milkshake of death when the coolant mixes with transfluid it looks like a strawberry milkshae hence the name SMOD (was an acronym made up around here sometime back)

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Got a question for everyone. 2007 X Automatic. Rad swap. PMF done. Slight SMOD at the time but I caught it early.

The error code for the Park Neutral thing has been on for a year P0850. Truck drove great until last night.

Leaving to go somewhere last night, truck backed out fine. Truck shifted fine. Got to the end of my subdivision and went to pull out on the highway and heard a loud whine followed by a clunk then nothing. Wouldn’t shift into any gears. The display on the dash showed I was shifting gears but no power. Turned it off and on again and it drove to my house which is < 1000 feet from where I was. Still whining and delay shifting from 1 into 2.

This morning, got in. Started up fine. Put it in gear and nothing. Display shows it being put in different gears so I don’t think it’s the shift cable as all the videos I’ve seen show the display staying in P. I haven’t checked it yet but that’s on my list of things to do today if it’ll ever stop raining. That’s an easy check I know.

went and did some stuff and a few hours later, shifted. Whines. Then nothing. I can go thru the selectors for gears and nothing. Just rolls backwards BC my driveway slants.

So I’m guessing I’m just SOL. Tranny dead? Torque converter dead? Any idea where to start? It won’t drive so I’ll have to tow it but my neighbor owns a towing company so he won’t charge me.

TL;dr - shitty transmission. Shows it changes gears but won’t actually do anything. Am I SOL?
did you get the SMOD then have radiator changed and tranny flushed or no?

·
Registered
17 Posts

Did you check the U Joints

1 - 8 of 8 Posts