Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there. I recently bought a 2004 xterra that has a sunroof. Unsure which model it is because there's no SE or XE on it any place. I've owned a 2003 for quite a while and it has air conditioning but this 2004 apparently doesn't. The previous owner had mentioned it didn't have A /C I assumed it just needed repaired . I've never heard of any xterras that didn't have air conditioning and I can't find anything searching online either. Does anybody know anything about this issue? And if so is it possible to install ac ?
C.Q.

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
Look on the HVAC controls. If there's an AC button, then it used to have it. If not, then it is apparently a red-headed step-child among the lot.

I used to own a 1991 F150 that came factory without AC. I had a shop add it and it made all the difference when driving it in the summer!

AC also helps to de-fog your windshield because it dries the air, making room to absorb more moisture.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Look on the HVAC controls. If there's an AC button, then it used to have it. If not, then it is apparently a red-headed step-child among the lot.

I used to own a 1991 F150 that came factory without AC. I had a shop add it and it made all the difference when driving it in the summer!

AC also helps to de-fog your windshield because it dries the air, making room to absorb more moisture.
I did further research into the matter and it turns out I was mistaken on the year my hubby has its a 2002 not 2003 model for one important thing lol. I scoured the web and called a local nissan dealers parts department to see if they could tell me why there's no dryer on this 04 and the dude tried to convince me it just isn't equipped with a/c . So my question changed to ok then WHY does the dash have an A/C control knob?! Lol lol. Bless his heart the fight was on. So then I tried a local parts store and asked about a receiver/dryer , nothing showed for 04 xterra. Ok an accumulator? No. Nothing came up in their system. Again... maybe it doesn't have ac. Lol omg I know they don't like talking shop with females but hey I've dealt with the parts chasing for my hubby for many years and can tell when they just want me off the phone haha. So I Googled receiver/dryer/ accumulator to see what that brought up lol. Opened advance auto parts site entered vehicle info and low and behold a condensor/ drier! It's combined together haha. Found it. Of course I called both places back to tell them Psstt: hey ....FYI 2003 and 2004 xterra with 3.3l not supercharged has the ac drier built into the condenser. Lol

· Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
2,120 Posts
We don’t call it a drier or an accumulator. We call it a liquid tank. Almost all of our liquid tanks are not serviceable separately. If you don’t know exactly what you’re looking for, you probably won’t have luck dealing with someone who has no idea what you’re looking for. Next time just ask for a diagram and circle the part.

· Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
3,220 Posts
I will place myself squarely on both sides of the last 2 posts above.

I fully understand not being taken seriously at certain times, and I also agree with knowing the correct names of parts when asking for them.

This Nissan uses non-Western thinking in the design, naming of parts and systems, as well as their arrangement of the FSMs. At times it is so freaking hard to find things that I just call up Google, speak into my mouse like Cheif Engineer Scotty (name that movie!), and let those little mousy feets do the walking for me.

No matter what language you speak, a picture is worth a thousand words, and circling or pointing to the part you need can bypass so many hurdles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts