Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have never had any significant issues, until yesterday. On my way home, stopped at gas station, when I came out, would not turn over at all. Luckily I could get it push started. Here is everything so far:
Makes no noise when key is cranked, although full power is there.
2003 X, 3.3 2wd Manual Trans.
Full Power, battery taken out and checked.
Clutch switch fine.
Starter good.
All relays and fuses good.
I am checking every relay and switch I can think of.

Questions:
Does the Neutral Safety Switch actually stop the vehicle from cranking since it it a manual?
Is there an additional relay I am somehow missing that is not in the standard place under the hood or driver side panel?
Is there an effective, and easy, way to test the ignition switch with a multimeter to determine if there lies the problem?

Other than that, if anyone has ever had an issue similar I am all ears. Thanks.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I have a manual xterra just like you. It can have something to do with the clutch safety switch. One time my truck would not start, not even crank.I felt like it was the clutch pedal. So i pushed it as far as possible down and the truck cranked on and off until it finally started. This has only happened to me ONCE. So try pushing that clutch pedal down hard to see if it starts. Other than that. I would check the connections at the starter. Clean them if you have to. Have someone tap on the starter while you try to start it up. weather is getting colder so the solenoid might be getting stuck. My dads BMW did that until we replaced the starter.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the clutch switch first thing, and I removed the starter and had it checked. I know I have a electrical issue somewhere, just cant find the damn problem. I am still leaning towards a sensor/switch that I am not aware of, or an ignition switch malfunction. I am going to put what I have taken apart back together this afternoon and start on the ignition.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
If it makes no noise when you turn on the ignition...and not even a starter whine, etc...the starter is not turning it over.

You say its "good", so, that means if you put cables on it and send power, the cog pops out to engage the flywheel, rotates, etc...

..which leaves only the power TO the starter. (Unless the guy who tested it gave a false pass, which happens all the time...)

You can trace continuity from the column, to the starter, and see where you lose the juice. Check AT the starter first, in case the test of it was wrong.

Something as simple as a loose ground strap can cause stuff like this. If it stops at a point where there's a fuse, chaffed wire, mouse nest, etc...then that's something to look at, and so forth.

If the starter WAS turning it over, and it just wasn't catching, that would be different.

>:D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Lesson Learned!!!!
The first thing I did when this issue happened was pull the starter and run it down to the local parts store to have it tested. It functioned just fine on the bench test.
So from there I went and checked every switch, relay, and fuse.
Finally after either jumping every switch that would stop it from turning over, I started voltage drop test, and starter voltage test.
What would you know, the starter had 12.4 running to it when the key was turned. So I just went down to the same parts store, and bought the starter they had in stock, with the guy behind the counter saying it wasn't the problem.
Just finished installing, cranked right over. Actually starts better than it has in the past 2 years.
In the end, I learned my lesson, and I feel quite ignorant because of it.
At least the vehicle will be ready for opening day of rifle season this weekend.
Thanks for y'alls input.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
One thing I have learned is that the free tests of alternator, batteries, and starters at the big box/chain stores, etc...is that, so far, 90% of what they say works fine, is broken, but it didn't fail the test.

Some of that is the tech doesn't actually know how to DO the testing, or, interpret it...and some is the equipment might test one aspect, but not others, etc.

So, the bottom line is, you did test continuity, and immediately saw the power made it to the starter, and, turned back at the starter, and glared at the sumna beetch...and replaced him.

:D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts