Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove my X all over the adirondacks on my bday vacation and came home a few hours later tried to start and it did not. I get all the lights on the dash and my windows and headlights work. The headlights dont dim when when I try to start. I do not get any attempts of the starter turning. I can hear the fuel pump turn on. I jumped the starter solenoid with a screwdriver and it made a spinning noise but my car did not try to start. I checked relays and fuses. Any help would be appreciated. If the starter spins when I jump it and is it not spinning up and engaging the fly wheel?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Sounds like alternator gone bad and battery is too low Check batt voltage, Or starter bendix finally bit the dust

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Checked the battery voltage have over 12v and drops just below 12v when I try to start it. Had my bro try and jump it as well and it still does nothing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Will the bendix spin and not move up and engage if the starter is shot? Cause it def made a fast spinning noise when i jumped the solenoid and it did not make any crank noises

·
Registered
160 Posts
12v a little low try charging it and spraying some wd 40 in the bendix cracks, but sounds like your solenoid may be bad if it jumps as you say 12v just not may be enough to engage bendix, new starter fixes it is my guess

·
Registered
160 Posts
Will the bendix spin and not move up and engage if the starter is shot? Cause it def made a fast spinning noise when i jumped the solenoid and it did not make any crank noises
sounds like bendix = new starter ebay eb electic has some cheap fine ones, otherwise get a lifetime one from your favorite local/national vendor. In the mean time you may be able to free the bendix with some wd 40 and a battery charge

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay well thanks for the info. I was avoiding getting a new starter cause I have put a bunch of money into this thing already and I'm not sure its gonna fix it.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Agreed. Sounds like a bad bendix gear. Unfortunately that means a new starter.
A bad bendix gear will usually retract as soon as it makes contact with the flywheel and then just spin making a whirrrr sound or it won't extend out at all and just whirrrr away.

Options that come to mind are

• Junkyard pull (no guarantees and the price would be similar to a budget priced unit new).
  • Ebay.
  • RockAuto ($30 to $102)
  • Local parts store like Autozone. If it turns out that it's not the starter you should be able to return it with no issues.

On the plus side you made it home and avoided a costly tow.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A bad bendix gear will usually retract as soon as it makes contact with the flywheel and then just spin making a whirrrr sound.

• Junkyard pull (no guarantees and the price would be similar to a budget priced unit new).
  • Ebay.
  • RockAuto ($30 to $102)

A bad bendix gear will usually retract as soon as it makes contact with the flywheel and then just spin making a whirrrr sound.

• Ebay.
  • RockAuto ($30 to $102)
  • Local parts store like Autozone. If it turns out that it's not the starter you should be able to return it with no issues.

Yea guess its a new starter.. any brands I should avoid? Yea I was definitely thankful I didn't get stuck in upstate NY even though its beautiful up there, definitely dont wanna pay that tow back to PA. Thanks

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
It's been a pretty long time since I last replaced a starter. One thing I like to do if I'm buying off of RockAuto or another site is look up the same manufacturer and part number on Amazon and then see what the reviews are like. If a product really sucks there will be a ton of bad reviews. Only about 10% of happy customers will take the time to write a review, but 90% of pissed off customers will take the time.

Reactions: esmo68

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,733 Posts
It depends on what you jumped, too!

If you jumped from the battery to the motor terminal, then all you did was spin the motor. It requires that the solenoid be energized to kick the Bendix into the ring gear.

What terminals did you jump across?

If not the solenoid, then you could have a NSS (neutral safety switch) or SECU issue.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It depends on what you jumped, too!

If you jumped from the battery to the motor terminal, then all you did was spin the motor. It requires that the solenoid be energized to kick the Bendix into the ring gear.

What terminals did you jump across?

If not the solenoid, then you could have a NSS (neutral safety switch) or SECU issue.
I put a screwdriver on both wire terminals on the actual starter solenoid. Had my brother turn the key.

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
You could try disconnecting the wire terminals on the starter and cleaning them. Due to their location they are prone to corrosion and dirt.

Reactions: esmo68

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You could try disconnecting the wire terminals on the starter and cleaning them. Due to their location they are prone to corrosion and dirt.
I hit them with some pb blaster cause they def looked rusty. Ill try cleaning the terminals when I get a chance. Think Im just gonna try and find a starter thats semi decent for a decent price.

·
Registered
2003 XTerra SE/XE RWD Auto 3.3L NA V6
40 Posts
I hit them with some pb blaster cause they def looked rusty. Ill try cleaning the terminals when I get a chance. Think Im just gonna try and find a starter thats semi decent for a decent price.
Try this (silly advice, maybe, but helped me twice under similar circumstances): Take the key out, turn the steering wheel left-and-right by 15-20 degrees, put the key in, try to start it again.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Okay well thanks for the info. I was avoiding getting a new starter cause I have put a bunch of money into this thing already and I'm not sure its gonna fix it.
I'm hoping it's ok if I jump in here?? I'm not well versed in the rules but this is my same issue. I have an option manual. Just won't start tried jumping heard a faint click like twice...all interior works didn't check headlights but will now. Tow guy said he tapped on starter and said he doesn't think it's the starter he said electrical? Any thoughts on that? Should I have opened a new question? If so I'm sorry

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I'm hoping it's ok if I jump in here?? I'm not well versed in the rules but this is my same issue. I have an option manual. Just won't start tried jumping heard a faint click like twice...all interior works didn't check headlights but will now. Tow guy said he tapped on starter and said he doesn't think it's the starter he said electrical? Any thoughts on that? Should I have opened a new question? If so I'm sorry
No you are fine. So my issue was I had an exhaust leak in that area and it melted one of the wires that ran from starter solenoid to starter. It is possible my starter was still good. Not sure on that, but bought a new starter anyways and I was good to go.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Oh ok thank you for your response. I'm just trying to figure out if my issue is my starter or electrical because one shop is $100 cheaper on the starter but doesn't do electrical...ugh

1 - 20 of 30 Posts