Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 Xterra SE 2WD. I'm almost at 100k miles after 10 years. I had to replace the starter about 18 months ago, and changed out the battery at the same time. A few weeks ago it randomly would not start - Everything came on though, lights, radio, anything electronic. I could also hear the "Click" when I turned the key all the way. I check the battery terminals and wiggled them around and it started right up. The other day it did it again, same exact problem. I disconnected the battery, reconnected it and nothing happened, I started to check all wires that I could (Standing in the freezing rain) and still could not get it to start. I went back inside and waited an hour, came out and it started right up.

I'm thinking solenoid? Starter? I don't want to start taking parts off without another opinion though. Thanks for any help received!

·
Registered
780 Posts
It could still be a defective battery, especially if you're hearing clicks. Is it a single click or like a rapid clicking? What I've seen plenty of are batteries that produce enough wattage to run devices but aren't pumping out enough amperage to actually start the truck reliably.

Good luck running that down :biggrin:

·
Registered
780 Posts
That does throw the battery much further down the line of potential suspects. Questions from there become what kind of click and where it's coming from. If it's coming from the front of the truck underneath and is kind of metallic, then it'd be a good idea to get the starter checked.

The thought also occurred to me that if the click is more like a spark sound coming from the top of the front of the vehicle then it could be a short in the ignition wiring.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Is your truck manual?

I had this issue, and it turned out to be the clutch switch wasn't completely depressing. There was a noticeable single click when the ignition was turned too

·
Registered
287 Posts
could be the connection to the starter. mine did the same thing for a little while. turns out the starter wire came loose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Having the same problem

Im having the same problem. All my lights come on and when i turn the key it clicks multiple times but still doesnt turn on. The starter was replaced last month. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,200 Posts
Im having the same problem. All my lights come on and when i turn the key it clicks multiple times but still doesnt turn on. The starter was replaced last month. :( Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Are the battery connections clean and tight? Try wiggling the cable ends and see if the connections rotate on the posts. Sounds like textbook symptoms of a loose/corroded connection at the battery.

·
Registered
465 Posts
what would y'all recommend if it isn't relays, battery, battery connection, or starter. These are all things that my local shop has replaced and still no fix. This is getting incredibly expensive, and the issue persists.

My 04 is automatic..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I had the same problem a few weeks ago. Went and had the battery tested and it was good so I ended up having to cut the cables and get new connections. Only problem I have now is when it rains.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Check the connection for corrosion and tightness
I've got the same problem with a customer's 05 xterra automatic. Checked all that I know ran a jumper from battery to crank wire on starter solenoid and it fires right up. Where is starter relay? Under the dash. I'm lost and I hate working on Nissan. Love to drive them but hate fixing them

·
Registered
11 Posts
KEEP IT SIMPLE:

If automatic, try putting it in park, I mean really put it in park. Push the shifter up firmly until you feel firm resistance then try to start. There is a shift safety that wears out. Common to all vehicles with floor board shifters. Easy and cheap repair too. If that doesn’t work, then go into depth with the troubleshooting.

Be safe, Wheels down,

D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
140 Posts
... or try putting it in N, since the P position may be worn enough that banging it into that end of the shift range might not solve the problem.

Back in earlier years, if it wouldn't crank, I'd hold the key in the Start position and move the shifter into and out of N (slowly!) until it cranked, then plan a time to work on it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts