Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First note-
It is not low brake fluid and it has nothing to do with an in cab button gone bad or not sensing brake pedal is released

Problem:

My wifes 2004 Nissan xterra brake light on the dash is always on. It has been on for several years. She said that back then they had it fixed several times. She said the person that fixed it said the spring on the underside of the vehicle keeps coming undone. I don't exactly know what that means in terms of setting the light off and keeping it off. I know it is nothing in the cab of the vehicle because I have looked at everything there. I know it is not a low fluid as I do a lot of work on her car and always check the fluids.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
There are only two things that cause the brake light to illuminate:

1) Low brake fluid level
2) Parking brake switch (parking brake out of adjustment).

However, if either one of those switches are shorted / damaged internally, they will illuminate the light regardless of fluid level or park brake adjustment. Did you actually test the switches?

There is another possibility, but it typically involves you having a charge light indication. The brake warning and alternator warning circuits are connected via a semiconductor diode. If that diode quits working, it might energize both warning lights. One member had this problem. He removed his alternator and had it tested. They said an internal diode was bad. After replacing the alternator, both lights went out.

EDIT: In case you need it; Parking brake adjustment for your X is here:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Xterra/2004_Xterra/pb.pdf

·
Registered
54 Posts
Could be that plunger in master cylinder gets stuck down thinking its low on fluid I see that alot on other cars

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Sorry it took me so long to get back. I had forgotten I had posted this. @Wv-jq, I am not entirely positive but I believe your suggestion was the answer. I followed the e-brake line under the vehicle and did not find anything wrong. Then I got under the hood and messed around with the plunger and I am almost positive that did the trick.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts