Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I lost my fob for my Nissan Xterra 2003; it’s Mexican made. I tried to open and start the car without the fob and nothing happened. I found the fob and tried to start it and nothing happens. The security light is blinking and the radio and headlights turn on but nothing else. How can I fix this?

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,383 Posts
So I lost my fob for my Nissan Xterra 2003; it’s Mexican made. I tried to open and start the car without the fob and nothing happened. I found the fob and tried to start it and nothing happens. The security light is blinking and the radio and headlights turn on but nothing else. How can I fix this?
Did you use the Fob to lock and unlock the vehicle before trying to start it? Would think using the fob to lock and unlock would appease the security lockout. Maybe there is another procedure to override the security lockout.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Try closing all the doors. Locking the drivers door with the key. Then unlocking the drivers door with the key. Then try to start it.

I had my alarm go off the other day when I didn't have the fob with me and of course I couldn't start the car and the key in the ignition wouldn't reset the alarm. after a quick moment of shaking my head to get the cobwebs out I got out, closed the door, locked it, unlocked it, and the security system reset and it started right up.

Reactions: MeToo

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Another possibility is that the interlock on the transmission is faulty. It's basically just a little button that is pressed when the vehicle is in park. This switch has to be pressed when starting the vehicle so that you can not start the engine in gear, which would result in a lurching vehicle. The switch on my Xterra is worn and some times I have to shift to reverse and back to park for the switch to work before I can start it (I know, I should fix this before I get stranded or have to crawl under the vehicle in the pouring rain)

Manual transmissions have a similar switch located below the clutch pedal. The clutch has to be fully pressed to start the vehicle. This likewise prevents the engine from starting while the vehicle is in gear. Common points of failure in the manual system are a failed switch, or more commonly the little rubber plug on the pedal that makes contact with the switch falls out. This happened in my Frontier and I simply replaced the rubber plug with a nut and bolt.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro-4X
1,383 Posts
Another possibility is that the interlock on the transmission is faulty. It's basically just a little button that is pressed when the vehicle is in park. This switch has to be pressed when starting the vehicle so that you can not start the engine in gear, which would result in a lurching vehicle. The switch on my Xterra is worn and some times I have to shift to reverse and back to park for the switch to work before I can start it (I know, I should fix this before I get stranded or have to crawl under the vehicle in the pouring rain)

Manual transmissions have a similar switch located below the clutch pedal. The clutch has to be fully pressed to start the vehicle. This likewise prevents the engine from starting while the vehicle is in gear. Common points of failure in the manual system are a failed switch, or more commonly the little rubber plug on the pedal that makes contact with the switch falls out. This happened in my Frontier and I simply replaced the rubber plug with a nut and bolt.
I think she's gone walk about!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts