Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I see that Nissan sells a tent that attaches to the rear of an Xterra.

Does anybody have one of these? I am looking to see how easy/hard they are to stand up and if they give good rain/wind protection.

Thaks for any help on this.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
just lay the seats down an sleep in the back.

I did it 4 days a week all summer

·
Registered
67 Posts
i heard they dont seal well and separate from the vehicle. like s2x01 says seats down and maybe some foam padding more then good.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I believe they are made by a standard tent making company who makes several tents for different OEM's they are merely universal. I camped next to a guy that had one once. I setup my 2 person tent unloaded the truck and aired up a air mattress in the xterra solo. While this individual and his son hadn't even got the tent fully up yet. Over the 3 days I slept near this family of two it took 30 minutes each night for them to set it up. They also complained that bugs would come in as it wasn't form fitting to the body lines of the vehicle.

I'd stick to plain high quality tents.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the feedback. I was worried about how good of a seal there would be against the vehicle. My wife and I are thinking of a camping expidition to northern British Columbia where the mosquitoes are bigger and meaner than the grizzly bears ;)

I am also looking at the rooftop tents like those that can be found here
http://autohomeus.com/

Has anybody tried one of these on an Xterrra?

·
Registered
67 Posts
thats a sweet roof top idea and they look sick. i have only heard good things about them but only from a couple ppl but im sure more will let u know how their roof tops have done.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
A member here on CX, roninjiro, makes roof top tents for Xterras. You may want to look him up...

·
Registered
90 Posts
Funny, I was google searching for pics of Xterra roofs and I came across this thread. I've also got an RTT made by a local guy. I picked it up about a year and a half ago and I love it; used it several times.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Generally speaking they are more comfortable (I guess how much more depends on the brand), easier to set up and take down, and they get you up off the cold bumpy uneven ground and away from critters and creepy crawlies.

·
Vendor
716 Posts
Back to the question about the custom Nissan Xterra hatch tent:
we do sell one that is designed for this model! It provides a very good functionality and makes camping a more convenient.

For instance you can connect it to the car using a removable sleeve and get easy access to the things inside of your Xterra like charging gadgets, storage or sleeping places.

It's definitely a plus in a bad weather as you and your stuff stays covered all the time.

This tent can accommodate up to 4-5 people + 2 sleeping places in the back of your SUV.

It measures 9 x 9 x 7.25'

Napier® - Sportz SUV Tent
* Click on the picture to view more details and prices

- 2 large doors, 3 mesh windows, and 2 skylights allow for optimal ventilation and lighting
- Easy to set-up with color-coded fiberglass and steel poles; faster than burning a marshmallow
- Full-length rainfly for ultimate weather protection
- Storm flaps in all windows to keep you safe and dry
- Expandable carrying bag makes storage a breeze

See it in action in this YouTube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDEQPhoiZdg

The summer season ends, but it's a good time to get this tent at lower price.
The original price was $424.99, but now you can get it for only $339.99 + optional air mattress is available!

What do you think about this tent?

You can also read more about this manufacturer here.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Xterra camper conversion

Hi everyone! Instead of using a tent, we converted our Nissan Xterra interior into a camper, building a wood base that works as a bed inside. In our case it worked out nicely, because we think the tent might not be so safe in someplaces.

We share details about the project in our blog, if anyone is interested: http://www.localplanet.com.br/en/conversion-pickup-truck-camper/

After traveling for 6 months in South America, in really high altitudes and cold weather, we would like to add a tarp or a tent to the back, so we can cook and hangout. We use a tarp for now and we are thinking about building a fixed base somehow.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts