Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thank you to everyone who answers posts with your valuable info! I've got a 2005 Xterra, V6 that was making the death rattle. I decided to tackle this job to save money. I now know why it costs $1600 to replace the timing chain! I replaced all of the tensioners and guides, and installed new primary and secondary chains. Everything lined up nicely. Before I put the cover back on I wanted to verify something. There is a tenth of an inch slack on the primary chain on the engine's left side (the side opposite of the primary chain tensioner). If I rotate the crankshaft, I can see the primary chain tensioner doing it's thing and the slack disappears and will come back as the rotation continues. Is this normal? The slack is just loose enough that the water pump will jump a tooth if you turn it with a lot of pressure. I'm a beginner mechanic, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
the tensioners are hydaulic and only properly function when the engine is running and hydrualic pressure is applied. i would see if you can get a nissan tech to email you the fsm for the 05 xterra or get a shop to tell you if this slack is normal while the engine is not operating but i beleive it should be since that is the job of the tensioners, to tension the chain. I am not as familiar with timing chains/belts on engines with variable timing such as this engine but i would think there needs to be some slack to allow the tensioners and chain to adjust and variy the valve timing as needed, Satito might know some, he seems very knowlegable but i think more on the 1st gens.

Reactions: Roadie69 and wreedy

·
Registered
1 Posts
First off, thank you to everyone who answers posts with your valuable info! I've got a 2005 Xterra, V6 that was making the death rattle. I decided to tackle this job to save money. I now know why it costs $1600 to replace the timing chain! I replaced all of the tensioners and guides, and installed new primary and secondary chains. Everything lined up nicely. Before I put the cover back on I wanted to verify something. There is a tenth of an inch slack on the primary chain on the engine's left side (the side opposite of the primary chain tensioner). If I rotate the crankshaft, I can see the primary chain tensioner doing it's thing and the slack disappears and will come back as the rotation continues. Is this normal? The slack is just loose enough that the water pump will jump a tooth if you turn it with a lot of pressure. I'm a beginner mechanic, so forgive me if this is a dumb question. Thanks in advance.
I recently bought an 05 Xterra with 177k miles and didn’t know about the timing chain issue until after purchase. My bad. Of course, it has the whine but thankfully, no knocking (yet). I’ve been back and forth on repairing it myself vs paying a shop ($1900) vs doing nothing and hoping for the best (not my favorite option) and I’ve about decided to pay the shop.
I know it’s been a while since you did your repair work but my question is, based on the condition that you found the chain, tension guides, etc. in, are you glad you installed the kit or might it have lasted significantly longer, even in spite of the deterioration of the guides?
Also, what did your kit cost? My shop is quoting $600 but I can’t find any thing close to being that expensive online.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I'm definitely more of a 1st gen guy. I haven't dealt with a 2nd gen Xterra or Frontier 6 cylinder timing chain myself. My 2000 Frontier has one, but it's a 2.4L 4 cylinder.
Here is a link that will let you select your vehicle so you can get the FSM for free.

You can also look on YouTube for some videos on the Xterra and Frontier Timing Chains. They are identical vehicles except for the body so a video of either will give you what you need. Watch more than one as I find there are little things that are often over looked in one video that the guy in another video mentions. When in doubt I defer to the wisdom of the FSM.

Blackberry will likely have greater insight into this actual issue than I.

Reactions: Stuffy

·
Registered
525 Posts
I don’t use kits, I piece together what the car needs based on what’s in there. Generally with an 05 with a decent amount of miles I would want: primary chain, primary slack guide, possibly primary tensioner, secondary tensioner shoes, secondary chains, a water pump while I’m in there and the orings and crank seal. You’d need to inspect the rear timing cover while the front is off because failed gaskets on the rear cover is a common cause of low oil pressure.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
I don’t use kits, I piece together what the car needs based on what’s in there. Generally with an 05 with a decent amount of miles I would want: primary chain, primary slack guide, possibly primary tensioner, secondary tensioner shoes, secondary chains, a water pump while I’m in there and the orings and crank seal. You’d need to inspect the rear timing cover while the front is off because failed gaskets on the rear cover is a common cause of low oil pressure.
he got you covered^^^^

1 - 6 of 6 Posts