Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all! I'm a college student that just bought a 2004 Xterra to mostly go overlanding and also off-roading! I am wondering what mods I should do to my rig first that yall would think to be the most important driving wise and also for aesthetics at the most affordable prices. I already have a 1' lift with mud tires that I was thinking of switching to all-terrain for day-to-day driving. It only has 71k miles on it so the internal parts are still in pretty good shape. Any advice on where I should start or what your favorite mods are would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here are some pics. It is also 4WD. I was already planning on repainting the bumpers and defogging the headlights.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
906 Posts
71K? Congrats! Wow, where on Earth did you find that?

How did you get that 1-inch lift, by PML or with body pucks? What size tires are those? If they're bigger than 32" then you could end up stuffing them up inside the wheel well under full compression and rubbing on stuff you don't want to rub on.

It has been sitting around way too much in 17 years, so to ensure that you have a blank sheet and know where you're starting, every fluid should be changed.

At that age, you should also do the timing belt and water pump. While you're at it, change as many hoses as you can access so they don't fail from age and leave you stranded.

It is recommended to remove the mud flaps (lower section) and step rails if you intend to do any serious 4-wheeling. If you're gonna keep it mostly on the road then you can decide whether to remove either of those as a practical thing.

Clean all of the glass and apply Rain-X or similar water-beading treatment. It'll make water run of more easily, as well as mud.

I'd like to put dibs on the step rails if you're gonna remove them. I might consider buying them if you're not too far away.

Oh, and welcome to CX!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Doing maintenance isn’t sexy, but it’s better than having your X stall at the drive thru window because you chose to ignore the signs.

My favorite mods have been an aftermarket radio with apple CarPlay and the bilstein shocks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
71K? Congrats! Wow, where on Earth did you find that?

How did you get that 1-inch lift, by PML or with body pucks? What size tires are those? If they're bigger than 32" then you could end up stuffing them up inside the wheel well under full compression and rubbing on stuff you don't want to rub on.

It has been sitting around way too much in 17 years, so to ensure that you have a blank sheet and know where you're starting, every fluid should be changed.

At that age, you should also do the timing belt and water pump. While you're at it, change as many hoses as you can access so they don't fail from age and leave you stranded.

It is recommended to remove the mud flaps (lower section) and step rails if you intend to do any serious 4-wheeling. If you're gonna keep it mostly on the road then you can decide whether to remove either of those as a practical thing.

Clean all of the glass and apply Rain-X or similar water-beading treatment. It'll make water run of more easily, as well as mud.

I'd like to put dibs on the step rails if you're gonna remove them. I might consider buying them if you're not too far away.

Oh, and welcome to CX!
Thanks for the welcome and the great advice! I found it in some small town in East Texas and I’m pretty sure it’s the last 1st gen xterra under 100k miles on earth at this point lol! I’m not sure if I’m gonna get rid of the step rails just yet though!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the welcome and the great advice! I found it in some small town in East Texas and I’m pretty sure it’s the last 1st gen xterra under 100k miles on earth at this point lol! I’m not sure if I’m gonna get rid of the step rails just yet though!
Keep them u remove them it's a safety hazard to your bones n everything ya if u remove them it will give u more groung clearance but wat if u try to get in n it removed yur feet will haft to stretch more n what if your foot barely grab it n u start pulling yurself up n your foot slides n slips u can really hurt yurt yur self with the runners u don't haft to stretch n possibly over stretch u r alot safer with the runners

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,579 Posts
Or ditch the beer can aluminum step rails and replace them with a proper set of rock sliders and have the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I removed the step rails and am planning to eventually add nicer ones! Mostly just off road driving not really intending to do any rock crawling.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts