Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i just turned 17, and for a first car my parents and i both pitched in on a 2007 Xterra OR. it is possibly the best thing that has ever happened to me. anyways... i am going to get myself an aries bull bar and rear tail light guards (please let me know if you dont agree with me buying these because of their quality or whatever). but i would also like some other ideas for good looking, and useful offroading modifications. I AM A COMPLETE NEWBIE TO OFFROADING AS WELL AS THE WHOLE XTERRA WORLD. please dont hate.

Any advice, or interesting information you have would make me veryyy happy soPLEASE post it, i want to get to know my xterra as well as possible and want to get involved in this forum on a daily basis.

also if you have some nice pics of your car i would love to see them, post them on the thread or send me a private message for my email adress.

THANKS FOR READING

·
Registered
456 Posts
welcome! and congrats on the buy! i know how you feel lol. im 18 and i ditched my jeep for my X and theres no looking back.

idk what you plan to do as far as offroading goes, but people generally stay away from bull bars as they are not good for a tow point, or offer much protection... but if youre more of a mall crawler, which i am myself right now, then youre good to go. same goes for the tail light guards. guys say you might as well buy a pair of replacement lights... but again, i dont know how you plan to drive your x.

personally, i like the look of both the bull bar and tail light guards. but, i wouldnt spend the cash. but thats just me.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
i just turned 17, and for a first car my parents and i both pitched in on a 2007 Xterra OR.

it is possibly the best thing that has ever happened to me. anyways...

i am going to get myself an aries bull bar and rear tail light guards (please let me know if you dont agree with me buying these because of their quality or whatever).

but i would also like some other ideas for good looking, and useful offroading modifications. I AM A COMPLETE NEWBIE TO OFFROADING AS WELL AS THE WHOLE XTERRA WORLD. please dont hate.

Any advice, or interesting information you have would make me veryyy happy soPLEASE post it, i want to get to know my xterra as well as possible and want to get involved in this forum on a daily basis.

also if you have some nice pics of your car i would love to see them, post them on the thread or send me a private message for my email adress.

THANKS FOR READING
Welcome A Board!

:D

For starters, forget the bull bar and tail light guards, a total waste of money.

For off roading, they would get in the way, get broken, break other stuff, etc.

What you want, is somethings that do what you THOUGHT the other stuff would do for you...but actually WORK.

I will give you some links to check out to get an idea....BUT, I STRONGLY recommend you go off roading as is, stock...to see what it can do first, and, to allow you to get a feel for what's important, and what's not TO YOU.

www.shrockworks.com

www.4x4parts.com

The OR is a BEAST off road, its VERY CAPABLE...and right now, you have no clue what it can, and cannot do.

Mods should be to MAKE IT do what it can't NOW....that you want it to.

And YOU get to pick the priorities.

Right now, you are new (We ALL were at some point).

Just like we did, YOU should learn the ropes first, THEN see what to do for improvements.

Check out the local forums here...see who's wheeling in your area, and just tag along on a trail run.

You'll have a blast!

:wink-big:

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
i would get some beefier tires because you'll probably get some no matter what..

yea, and definately try offroading stock. i'm glad i did when i first started out

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
awesome, i went on a short offroad trip today and had some fun. didnt even have to clean it after cuz driving on the highway in the rain blew all the mud off =). yeah im looking for some external armor for right now just because i wanna get that off road look. thinking bout the shrock front bumper/skid plates and things like that. still looking for some more good ideas in continuation to these. THANKS GUYS!!!!!!!

·
Registered
988 Posts
hey im 17 ! i ve had an xterra for a while ! a lift you could get small lift for some ideas hit up 4x4parts.com n check around lucky you an 07 xterra bad ass ! good luck ! happy to help

·
Registered
988 Posts
also dont get the bumber too soon ! but there are sweet ! worry about other things first then move on to body protection and besides the bumber is used for rocks, trees ect it would be kinda pointless to spend 800 bucks if you only go mudding ! also watch out n clean that thing real good underneath mud has a tendensy to break stuff ! if ya got any questions hit me up

Ty

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
The most important armor is SLIDERS.

You need a place to hi-lift from, and to protect the rocker panels.

Make sure you have front and rear recovery points too.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The easiest mods for you to do first are stuff like pulling the step rails and mudflaps.. not to mention that these mods are free.

Like TJ said, you definitely want sliders first. Shrock are awesome.

Look into a PML.. it's pretty cheap and it will definitely give you some of that off road look you want. Lights too.

As was already mentioned, tires are a good idea but I don't know how necessary they are for you immediately... depends on what shape your tires are in now.

·
Registered
556 Posts
If I were you i'd start off with some new tires. I suggest BFG ATs since the X is also your DD.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i currently have 100% tread BF goodrich rugged trail T/As installed on it. are these not geared for offroad use? if so what are the types of things you look for when shopping for offroad tires? another thing i thought was that the offroad package came with a factory 2" lift, would i still be able to do a PML on top of the factory 2" lift or am i just tripping hard? SORRY NOOB ALERT <---------

·
Premium Member
3,732 Posts
The rugged trails are alright for light off roading but it will depend on what sort of driving you want to do in your rig. More rugged tires will increase road noise, decrease handling and lower mpg but the trade off is that you'll have much better traction off road and of course the cool factor of a more aggressive tire.
As others have said, once my stock tires are used up or I start going on harder trails, my tire of choice are the BFG AT's. I've used them for years on other vehicles and never had an ounce of buyers remorse.
I don't believe there is a difference in lift for the OR, just initial tire size & longer shocks (?)
If you are planning on going off road a bit, work on a rear recovery point (receiver & shackle or aftermarket rear bumper) and some gear: tow strap, snatch strap, couple shackles, etc. There have been some great posts on recovery gear, pop that phrase into the search bar and poke around.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
There's no PML for the 2005+ X's, as they have no torsion bars to adjust.

The OR does NOT come with a lift. It comes with 32" tires, which make it a bit taller (The mention of longer shocks, of course, means nothing, as the shocks are not longer, and, they would not make the truck taller anyway if they were)

So, you CAN'T add a PML, because you don't have a 2000 - 2004 X, you don't have an already lifted X, and, you should not be doing upgrades yet, because you have not seen anything that needs changing to make the X do what it can't now.

Relax.

Take a few breaths.

You don't have to make a lot of changes, just wheel it stock for a while until you get to where it can't do something, and then see why.

Change the why after seeing what it is.

The mods you should do are free.

Take off the rear sway bar, lower mud flaps, and step rails and vestigial plastic hub caps if it has them.

Crawl under the X, and get familiar with what's under there, what it looks like, and what does what, etc.

-----------------

For a little $:

If you want to be able to air back up after airing down, get an air compressor that plugs into the cig lighter, etc.

Make sure you have front and rear recovery points.

Get a 30' x 3" snatch strap and a couple of 3/4" - 7/8" Clevis Shackles.

Get a shovel, axe and pick.

Carry some tools and spare fluids.

Carry a tarp or 2.

Make sure you have a decent first aid kit.

If hooking up with other off roaders, consider an inexpensive CB - They make hand-held units you can walk around with or use in the truck, and inexpensive dash mount units that are all in the mike for example, etc.

--------------------------

So, again, while most advice will be to do what ever THEY did, consider that you are not them, and, the "thems" seem to have different opinions.

This is because what works for one person may not be optimal for another, and visa versa.

You need to gain context, so you know what YOU want.

THEN plan to get it. (This also gives time to save more $)

·
Registered
111 Posts
Well put, TJTJ. This is a great thread for me too, since I just bought my 08 and it's the first truck I've ever had, but I'd love to get into wheeling. I'll have to take it out in the snow we're getting now. Sadly my Long Trails aren't exactly off road material...

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Well put, TJTJ. This is a great thread for me too, since I just bought my 08 and it's the first truck I've ever had, but I'd love to get into wheeling. I'll have to take it out in the snow we're getting now. Sadly my Long Trails aren't exactly off road material...
Its ok to get stuck. You don't die, and the truck doesn't explode. Typically, another rig gives you a tug, and you move on.

(Don't wheel alone)

Really, tires make an enormous difference, but, I've wheeled in mud on bald tires, and had fun....

So, its about fun.

No matter what mods you do, some terrain, somewhere, will be too much to handle, but, to learn to DRIVE OFF ROAD, just like it took a little while ON road, you need to work up to it.

If you START with massive mud tires and lockers and a lift and armor, you never LEARN how to drive it, it becomes point and shoot for you...

...until you hit terrain where you NEED all that stuff, and YOU are the weak link.

So, its better to learn to navigate a stock rig through progressively harder and harder terrain, to learn HOW to do that, the techniques, to calibrate your "Oh Shit Factors", etc.

If you never learn how to pick a line, you will be crippled later on.

Simple stuff, like getting the feel for how far over is "too far" is important.

Most newbies absolutely FREAK OUT the first time their truck leans over about 10-15º, they are SURE that they will flip over any second, they hang on with white knuckles and butt cheeks vacuuming up seat upholstery, etc.

Meanwhile, people on the OUTSIDE of the truck see nothing wrong, and wonder why the guy IN the truck is so scared, screaming for help, etc.

So, modding the driver is the first step, modding the truck is the second step.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
TJTJ, i couldnt pay money to get better advice than youve given me in the last 2 days on this thread. i want to thank you and everyone else that posted a response. keep doing what your doing. i am going to take TJ's advice and go around stock for a few months with my dad in the passenger seat just to test what i can do and then go from there. GREAT INFO FROM EVERYONE ESPECIALLY TJ! THANK YOU

·
Registered
958 Posts
Haha I didn't even think about him having a second gen.. I was just rattling off my own mods list >.<

But I'm not getting an 07... okay I'm leaving.

·
Registered
739 Posts
Chimed in on this one a little late.
Welcome from Ky!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts