Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! Picked up and 04 Xterra a few months back. I'm out in south eastern NM and have had a blast wheeling around these desert mountains already. Already broke a tie rod. That's a funny story haha. So now I know those are a weak point. Now that I've had sometime with it and seeing what it can do. Which by the way is far more impressive than I thought it would be! I'm starting a list of things that need to change on it. At this point I'm trying to figure out where this rig is at already. It came with 32s and looks to already have had a PML. It also looks like its got at least a 2" body lift. I'm super new to off roading but not wrenching. I have a modded street car sitting in the garage as well. I was wondering if someone could help me identify what to look for in regards to what a lifted torsion bar looks like, what upgraded shackles look like, and what to look for with a body lift. If it helps, my shackles look newer than the rest of truck. Anyway, its nice to meet y'all! And thanks for any and all help in advanced!

·
Registered
2003 SE 4x4 V6 100k miles
461 Posts
If nobody gets to you with some experienced answers by tomorrow, I plan on doing an oil change and I’ll take pictures and measurements of mine which is all stock

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,141 Posts
Some pics to help

Look at the side of your truck and see how much of the frame you can see bellow the rocker panels under the door.

Stock

2” body lift

Note how much more of the frame can be seen with a 2” BL

Rear suspension take a look at the shackle.

Stock (pic stolen from Rob)

AC lift shackle

AC adjustable lift shackle

Clamini shackle

Revolver shackle

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Front suspension

Can’t believe I don’t have an actual picture of stock front suspension:rolleyes: From the FSM

AC upper control arm

Calmini upper control arm

Unlikely you have these but the very nice and ultra uncommon SLR uppers and shackles

If you have OEM upper control arms take a look at the bump stop gap on the front suspension this will help us tell if a PML has been done on the truck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Racer! Here are the pics I grabbed off of my rig. Looks like I've got the Clamini shackles for sure. And I think there has been a body lift. Looking at the bump stops on the upper arm I'm not sure if the torsion bars have been moved or not. It is really close to the stop so I am assuming it's been done. Also found out the other day that the trail jack it came with is a little useless without at least some rock sliders. Is that true?

·
Administrator
9,141 Posts
Maybe BL maybe not. Take another pic showing us what is on top of this bolt, this is one of the body mounts.

Certainly has a PML done and the torsion bars are cranked up, actually higher than they should be. The bumpstop gap should be .5” to .75” if it’s shorter than .5” it induces bump steer. Does the truck ride harsh or kind of steer on its own over harsh bumps?

I assume you have a HiLift jack? If so yeah to use those you need either bumpers or rock sliders. They do make a strap set up so you can lift a wheel then place a jack stand to support it then remove the HiLift and go on with repairs. Not ideal but it does work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I haven't noticed too much bump steer. Either that, or there is too much and I don't know any better yet lol. I'm going to attempt a driveway alignment this weekend and I'll take another look at them when it's on level ground. Thanks for the info on that. Below is a picture of the body mount.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts