Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently purchased a 2002 Xterra with 117k miles on it. I will post some pics soon. So far got some more "aggressive" AT tires, and now im diving into getting the maintenance up to date. It threw a CEL for the cyl 2 misfire. I changed the cap/rotor and plugs, cleared the code and it was running ok. Then a couple days ago it started running like crap and got the p0120 tps code. High idle (1300ish) erratic shifting, and doesnt feel like it is going into 3rd gear. So I will be working on that next, and I have a new water pump, timing belt and the other belts already here just waiting to be installed.
Looking forward to getting my X running right so i can move on to the fun stuff!

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
151 Posts
Welcome to CX, and welcome to doing the timing belt first thing like I just did.

Get all of your radiator hoses and the bypass hose (cut to length) while you're doing the t-belt.

If you choose to do the heater hoses, be very careful with the heater core. The nipples on it are plastic and can break easily. I don't know that from experience, thankfully, but I did do some reading on here before starting my work. I bought my '01 at the end of July, so I'm still learning about it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thank you all! MeToo, thank you for those tips. I got mine just before the world shut down. I have always liked them, and they have tons of potential. PIA to work on, but, thats part of learning. Ive saved a ton of money fixing my cars myself, and my neighbor across the street learned to check his front yard for random wrenches, sockets, car parts that may get launched from my garage, before he cuts the grass......

·
Registered
2001 Xterra 4WD Auto 3.3L V6
151 Posts
thank you all! MeToo, thank you for those tips. I got mine just before the world shut down. I have always liked them, and they have tons of potential. PIA to work on, but, thats part of learning. Ive saved a ton of money fixing my cars myself, and my neighbor across the street learned to check his front yard for random wrenches, sockets, car parts that may get launched from my garage, before he cuts the grass......
"Launched", or "thrown in disgust"? LOL :D

BTW, you're welcome. I'm happy to share what I've discovered and might save the next guy some time, effort, or money.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Same difference! Axe Throwing places are really popular these days. When that dies down, im going to open up a tool throwing place. Instead of boring targets, its going to be the pictures of all the engineers who design cars. It may be a niche market, but i may meet a bunch of new mechanic friends!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts