Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Nissan Titan XD with the 5.0 Cummins, what are peoples thoughts?
I've been looking into the Pro-4X version with the rear locker and it still has the diesel. They've been really reducing the cost of these brand new trucks.

I've seen them selling a 2017 Nissan Titan XD Pro-4X with the Cummins diesel with 15 miles on it, for $38,000 when the truck's MSRP is $54,000.

Is this a bad sign? Should I be wary of purchasing the new titan anytime soon? How much farther do you think they'll drop the price?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah they definitely look beastly, I just wonder what the future of the truck looks like. There was a prototype model called the Nissan Titan Warrior and it was supposed to be a Ford Raptor killer. And you could still get it with the diesel! That's really what I am waiting for.

·
Registered
15 Posts
It does look like a beast. In the past everything I've ever read about the Cummins TD engines has been exemplary but recently:

"Yes, it currently does but there are very dark clouds on the horizon. As you may know FCA, the parent company of Ram, is suing Cummins for $60 million dollars for installing defective emissions devices on the Ram Heavy Duty Trucks with the 6.7L Cummins diesel.

“EPA and CARB have been pushing for a recall on 2013-2015 Ram 2500 pickups with a 6.7-liter Cummins diesel which both agencies say has an SCR that can malfunction in the presence of moisture and lead to increase in nitrogen oxide”, according to Reuters.

Currently the 5.0L V8 Cummins in the Nissan Titan XD is not under investigation and there’s no dispute between Nissan and Cummins. But you have to wonder how long before the emissions issues with the big brother 6.7L Cummins spill over to the smaller 5.0L Cummins? Perhaps never or perhaps tomorrow. The point being that if you want (or need) a diesel half-ton truck you only have one reasonable option today."

That doesn't speak to performance/reliability though. After the Volkswagen debacle, people are more sensitive to these issues.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I read that same article. It is odd for sure and idk if there would be issues with the 5.0 cummins. And the only problems those engines are having is with emissions right? If so, I'm not too worried about that because they don't do emissions testing here where I live. Everybody and their dog practically remove all the emissions stuff out of their diesel trucks.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well the MSRP is high and if you order a truck through Nissan's website, the price is high. But if you actually look at how low dealers are selling them for, it's kinda crazy. Buying a 2017 diesel truck for $35,000 is kind of a steal. And who knows how much lower they'll go.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts