·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
-05 Xterra SE
-47k miles
-Just changed sepentine belt and belt tensioner

Hello,

I just got new tires put on my '05 Xterra. The steering wheel had noticeable vibration after the tires were replaced so I took my car back to the auto shop.

They balanced the wheels again which decreased the vibration but did not eliminate it completely. The car drives smooth under 40 mph but the steering will start shaking the faster I go.

Any ideas what might need to be done so my Xterra returns to normal ?

Thank you!

I'll be more than happy to provide any additional info.

-Erik

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Yeah...have them finish balancing the tires.

:)

If it was fine before you got the tires, and bad after...its them, not your X that is deficient.

If re-balancing improved the situ, then, it IS improved by re-balancing...so, the balancing needs MORE improvement.

Some tires are just harder to balance...and I don't know if you also got different rims...but, a GOOD shop can balance ANY combo....albeit they may have to use a lot of weight, etc.

A basic question I'd have, is did they make the heavy side of the RIM, opposite the heavy side of the TIRE?

That ALONE explains about 90% of bad balancing jobs...as NOT doing it adds a LOT of needed counter balancing weight.

Over torquing/unevenly torquing the lug nuts, which warps the rim, ALSO adds a lot of vibes...simply re-torquing the lugs often fixes symptoms blamed on balancing deficiencies. (Taking off, and then re-installing to the correct torque)

I'd ask if they could re-check these conditions.

:)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks TJ,

No new rims. Same rims that came from the factory.

I'll have them look at it again. Hope that takes care of it.

I'm not sure if they made the heavy side of the RIM, opposite the heavy side of the TIRE... I do know they added some sort of "clip wieghts" or "tape wieghts" to the back side of the rim.

Thanks again for your input,

-Erik

·
Registered
416 Posts
could be a bent rim that you possibly didnt notice before cause it was on the back of the truck and now might be on the front. Could also be a tire that is out of round. What type of tires did you get? I suggest a road force balance. Or if they dont have a road force machine see if the tires are asking for a lot of weight when being balanced. if they are, tell them to index the tire.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts