Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all....my 2001 Xterra 4x4 is in need of new shock due to a lot of mountain off road driving. I hear Bilstiens are good.....but expensive. Are there alternatives for this and has anyone recentily installed them on an 1st Gen. Xterra 2000-2004.

thanks

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you got the money, bilsteins are the way to go. But I didn't have the money. So I went with the ranchos. I paid around $45 a piece for them on Rock Auto. I love em.

·
Registered
5 Posts
If you got the money, bilsteins are the way to go. But I didn't have the money. So I went with the ranchos. I paid around $45 a piece for them on Rock Auto. I love em.
Are they for a 3” lift? If so, what part #?

·
Registered
17 Posts
There are two Bilstein models that most 1st gen owners go for; either the 4600 or the 5100 series - both are very solid options with only small differences. The 5125 Bilsteins I got from 4x4 parts were for a lifted first gen, but will fit on a stock X as well (if there's any chance of getting a lift in the future, this is probably the way to go from everything I've read - you'll find plenty of info searching these forums). I'm not sure which of the lift options these are for, unfortunately, but given that they (4x4 parts) are the only ones with a front 5100-series 1st gen shock, I'd probably order from them if not grabbing the blue/yellow 4600 model.

I'll update this post when I find the other Bilstein part number, but one of them was 33-185606. Because 4x4 uses their own part numbers, it can be a little hard to pinpoint the Bilstein model you are getting.

EDIT: the other 5125 part number that came along with the P/N above was: 24-223379.

To save you (and others who find this in the future) some time, here are a few threads I found helpful. keep in mind that part numbers have changed over the years.

Bilstein, Rancho, Etc, Etc....... (see posts 23, 29, 30 in particular)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm thinking of putting a set of Bilsteins on my 2013 Pro-4X, and I was wondering if any of you guys would recommend removing the rear sway bar? I installed a pair of air bags on the rear suspension, which has helped with stopping it from bottoming out. Will these shocks (B6-4600) lift it much? Thanks.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
923 Posts
Shocks won’t lift it at all. I’d ditch the air bags and put the add a leaf back there then throw the rear swaybar in the trash.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts