Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a Toyota 4Runner Sport Edition that I lost in a garage fire. Although the Xterra has a rotary 2WD/4Hi/4Lo switch the drive train is definately not the same. I was used to running my 4Runner in 4WD all the time, but if I am on dry pavement with the Xterra in 4Hi and make a sharp turn into a parking spot, I can feel the tires scrub a bit. Maybe someone can explain this to me and the difference between the two. At any rate, I talk to my dealer and he stated that the Xterra has a more "off-road" drive train and to only use 4Hi when needed otherwise always stay in 2WD. Does this make sense? I live in Wisconsin and was trying the 4Hi out before a snow storm on dry pavement but I don't think Nissan's intent is to use it that way. Last question, having this awesome machine, I just put weathertech matts in throughout the vehicle to keep in in good condition, any recommendations on what is an absolute must addition for Xterra owners. I am looking forward to a long life with this vehicle and want to have some fun. Also, I would like to learn how to actually use the vehicle, can anyone recommend any enthusiast clubs in the Oshkosh, Appleton, Madison or Milwaukee, Wisconsin area? Your help is greatly appreciated. Thank you. Sincerely, :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Sorry to hear about your fire. But congrats anyways on your new Xterra.

I'm not really familiar on Toyota's 4wd systems for the 4runner,but what you were describing withe the tires skipping on the xterra is to be expected if you turn on dry pavement while in 4wd. I always forget to turn it off in my plow truck.. Reminds me pretty quickly when I turn out of the driveway.

Everyone is different, but because the Xterra is designed as a part time 4wd, I use it on a part time basis where needed (i.e. off pavement, snowy roads). This way I maximize gas mileage and put less stress on the drive train.

The nice part is, it's a simple turn of a switch, and 4wd is there when you need it

1 - 5 of 5 Posts