Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I own a silver 2012 Xterra SE 4WD. Bought it in 2014 from a dealer in Fort Collins Colorado with 17k miles. I live in Cheyenne Wyoming.

It has been a great vehicle over the years and the more I see what's out there and how much those things cost, the more I want to keep my Xterra for, well, forever. I am not an off-roader but it has gotten me out of some serious snow tough spots. It's hard to beat the body-on-frame construction and all the other features.

Since I would like to keep it mechanically sound for the foreseeable future, I am interested in what I would call engineering upgrades and functional improvements to an already very sound vehicle.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,658 Posts
I have a 2004 (Gen 1½). Like your Gen 2, it has a belt-driven radiator fan.

I removed my fan in favor of a pair of electric fans. I used simple ¾" square tube and perforated angle brackets from the hardware store to make a mount for the fans. They run off of a sensor that is wired through 2 switches to 2 relays that are separately fused. I can let either fan run on the sensor, turn it completely off, or turn it on, independent of the other fan.

There is now more room between the fans and the engine, and no shroud in the way.

After taking the stock fan off, a buddy examined it and saw that it had so many cracks that it was just a time-bomb waiting to explode some day.

For me, it was a double win. I wanted the improved function and control of electric fans, but I also benefited by removing a part that was not long from killing itself and taking some of my rig with it.

For details, start somewhere around here.

If you haven't already, switch up to full synthetic lubricants.

If you have any brand of oiled-cloth air filter, ditch it and save your engine!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey MeToo ...

Thanks! That's exactly the sort of advice I was looking for. My odometer has just turned over 100k miles so it doesn't have a lot of miles for a truck that is 9 or 10 years old. I have had the oil and filter changed regularly but normally use conventional oil. I will make sure to use synthetic from now on since I would like this engine to last. I have used K&N filters before on other vehicles but never really liked them so I don't use any oiled air filter type.

I guess I have a generation 2 Xterra. Do you know if there are many of them that have high mileage? Is there a "record"?

WyoSilver

1 - 4 of 4 Posts