Nissan XTerra Forum banner

New Member from Costa Rica (by way of Canada)

983 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  bossX 
#1 ·
Hi all, this is Raymond in Costa Rica, originally from Canada and USA, just joined, 1st Post.

Need some help from you Professionals with Xterra experience, if this is in the wrong part of clubxterra, let me know

We're in Costa Rica, so any parts I want to get, have to be imported, so want to be very sure before proceeding.

We just bought a:

2002 Nissan Xterra, XE 4dr SUV
3.3L V6-non supercharged
4x4
4-speed Automatic
Has the factory tow bar, but I see no electrical trailer hookup, so don't think it's ever towed.

It has 133,000 miles, it's a US model imported to CR just 3 years ago and from the looks of it (very clean and tight, inside/out and under) driven mostly or all in the city of San Jose, CR since it's been here, not a country farm or beach tourism vehicle, so for a 13 year old vehicle, it's in twice as good of condition as one that's been on Costa Rica back roads.

Looks 100% stock.

So, I need to know:

a. what are the list of items a smart person would have replaced right away (going to a shop for all this on Tuesday) as preventative maintenance, belts, hoses, etc, etc.

b. what are the YOU BETTER WATCH OUT FOR items relative to this year engine/drivetrain, I read somewhere about problems relating to cooling system and automatic transmission, and this will be working both hard, we are on a daily steep mountain drives back and forth up and down the mountain, all day.

c. All stock vehicles, can have a power boost, open up the exhaust, re-chip or program ECU. I don't want / need a hot rod, reliability is 1st priority, but want to know what can be done to give me more power reliably on the mountain roads, even if I suffer a bit on economy.

See less See more
#4 ·
These a pretty stout trucks as dejablue said timing belt for sure, with the normal water pump idlers and such.

I would keep a spare distributor around if it's not a stocked item there known to fail at the lest convenient time.

Upgrade to the supercharged radiator might not be a bad idea. If your working it in a warmer climate.

Also wouldn't hurt to change the trans and diff fluids if it hasn't been done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#5 ·
oki, really appriciate this guys.

so far, for this week's "1st trip" to the area Nissan Truck shop / mechanic for preventative maintenance

Change Timing Belt with all the attendant parts
Change all belts/ hoses under hood
Drain and replace all engine/trans/diff/radiator/ fluids bumper to bumper
Check and grease all fittings on suspension front and rear, and steering
Check and adjust brakes
Check the plastic on top of the radiator the South American air is bad on plastic
Check breather on fuel tank, pukes gas back out filler when on full speed fuel fill, probably blocked breather

A/C stops blowing cold after heavy up mountain slow speed gravel road trip *10-20 mile an hour for 12 miles*?
normal or ?

#7 ·
I live in Mexico, also the never ending heat part which does not drop below 25C most of the time and averages 35+C (via Canada btw) and my AC performs really poorly here as well. Mine is a 2001 SE model and I think the only way to remedy this would be to get a new and bigger compressor. Other than that, you have gotten some great info already so I do not have anything else to add.

You will find that 99% of your issues with your Xterra will have a solution to it here. Welcome and enjoy your new truck, mine is a 4x2 city commuter but I love it! The gas mileage could be a touch better but driving such short distances here opposed to Canada I really do not notice it that much as I probably spend about 20% on fuel compared to what I used to spend per month in my Civic in Canada just getting to work and back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.