Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I just got a new to me Xterra first gen. Was sitting for about 5 years, 249Kmiles, no PS, no AC, moss and mold (or w.e) growing on the sides of the car.
NO major rust, just some surface rust thats no big deal. Sadly not 4x4 however I did get it basically free. I rehabilitated the battery and she got the car at least starting again when I got home. Ive been working on nissans for quite a few years so this was pretty much standard lol. Im going to probably start making content for the Xterra on my youtube 350Z Channel.

Z33 Youtube Channel

Car started up with a jump just fine, no timing belt noises. Trans fluid was nice and red, coolant was a bit rusty ish but Im not too surprised with that.

My plan for this car now:

PS- Fixed, pump was somehow not shot, all it needed was the HP hose, the old one was gushing fluid from the top flex hose section.
AC- HP line was missing the shrader valve, amazon came in clutch with the universal valve kit and one of them fit, now I just need to hook it up to my vacuum pump and gauge set and see if it holds vacuum.
Engine- Seems to be in good order, timing belt "might" need changing, I found 1 receipt of the it being serviced ( along with all the seals, WP, etc) when the truck had 117K, perhaps it was done again after 210K ? this I will have to probably address soon. I drove the car home for about 50 miles with ZERO issues, noises. I will be checking plugs, distributor top, and do compression test in the coming days. Engine also needs a clean BADLY due to PS fluid being sprayed on the engine and years of dust.
Cooling- Im dumping the old rad coolant, or water, and adding some new distilled water /coolant to see how it behaves. Due to the age of the radiator I will be bi-passing the rad trans cooler with my rather large Hayden cooler while I see what the status is of the old coolant system.
Suspension -
seems to be ok for now, only parts I am adding are the front sway bar bushings and new endlinks since the front sway is just hanging with no bushings lol
Interior-
the whole arm rest section up to the radio portion is missing all the trim pieces, im not worried about this, I will fix it once the rest of the car is reliable.

I look forward to lurking on the forum and reading the 10+ year old stickies lol

How it looked when I got it home.

After 3 washes with a power washer.

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
1,027 Posts
Welcome to CX! Great find, and now a great project!

It looks like a 2002 or 2003?

If that's a heater hose from the PS reservoir to the pump, you'll want to change it.

·
Registered
03 Xterra se 3.3L rwd
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Welcome to CX! Great find, and now a great project!

It looks like a 2002 or 2003?

If that's a heater hose from the PS reservoir to the pump, you'll want to change it.
Its a 2003 SE. I want to degrease the engine first and see how old these hoses are. There is a metric ton of grime and grease on the engine, probably due to this PS leak spraying oil all over the engine a few years ago. I also want to see if I can get the AC system running before anything else.

Update, I got the Ac system to hold vacuum and then 1 can of refrigerant without any drops in pressure over a day and a half. I will throw in the second can today to get the pressures within factory range and see what the AC does. The compressor sounds a bit tired as I do hear noise coming from the clutch or AC pulley when it kicks on. Well see how it sounds with the second can. of r134. I also noticed the cabin blower resistor / sensor is damaged as it only starts the blower on #4 of the blower dial so adding that as a needed fix as well.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts