Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just decided to register because Im interested in purchasing an Xterra, I dont know much about them, but I know I see a lot of them on the road, which to me must mean that they are pretty solid vehicles. Anyhow, from what Ive read they don't exactly have much power, so Im curious to know why people love these cars? Im interested in buying one so I can eventually turn it into an offroad vehicle, and also as a vehicle which I can easily pack up and move my stuff, as I tend to move pretty often.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice, any suggestions on what models would be best? I really like the older ones better than the newer body style, and also only looking to spend around 5k

·
Registered
787 Posts
Hey guys, just decided to register because Im interested in purchasing an Xterra, I dont know much about them, but I know I see a lot of them on the road, which to me must mean that they are pretty solid vehicles. Anyhow, from what Ive read they don't exactly have much power, so Im curious to know why people love these cars? Im interested in buying one so I can eventually turn it into an offroad vehicle, and also as a vehicle which I can easily pack up and move my stuff, as I tend to move pretty often.
When taken care of they are a very solid vehicle and can last 300k+ miles. I wouldn't say they're "underpowered" necessarily. It's a light SUV not a sports car, many people don't understand this. 1st gens (2000-2004) usually push around just under 200 HP & 200 lb ft of torque; in 4LOW power has never been the reason I haven't made it up an obstacle.

If you're looking to offroad, finding one w/4wd and <150k miles is a good place to start. Obviously check for oil leaks, old timing belt, cracked hoses, make sure 4wd works, etc.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm not looking for speed anyways, I've had many fast cars, and at this point in my life I'm looking for something that's practical and suites my needs. Since I mountain bike a lot as well as needing it for moving and such, seems like it would be a great fit for me. Plus these things look sweet with some wheels and a lift kit!

·
Registered
140 Posts
Rugged , durable, amazing off road capabilities, less after market support than Jeeps but makes up for it in looks ;) Owned a Wrangler and a Cherokee and have to say I like the Xterra a little bit better.

·
Registered
176 Posts
From a new Xterra owner to a prospective one, I would just reiterate being patient and holding out for a good one. I jumped on one that was up for a good price but no maintenance record. I'm slowly paying what I saved in doing some of the work I'm not sure was ever done. A part of me wishes I held out for a super charged 02 with good maintenance records but I'm still happy with what I have. The big thing is making sure the timing belt was done at 105K. The engines are a bit wimpy but the SC pushes it up over 200HP I believe.

·
Registered
140 Posts
From a new Xterra owner to a prospective one, I would just reiterate being patient and holding out for a good one. I jumped on one that was up for a good price but no maintenance record. I'm slowly paying what I saved in doing some of the work I'm not sure was ever done. A part of me wishes I held out for a super charged 02 with good maintenance records but I'm still happy with what I have. The big thing is making sure the timing belt was done at 105K. The engines are a bit wimpy but the SC pushes it up over 200HP I believe.
This. Timing belt is important on 1st Gens and good maintenance records are always valued. And yes, car facts says the 02 with SC is at about 210hp.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This. Timing belt is important on 1st Gens and good maintenance records are always valued. And yes, car facts says the 02 with SC is at about 210hp.
Compared to the 135HP or so the non super charged engines have. But you also get a little worse MPG. But if you have an X you probably don't care too much lol

·
Registered
140 Posts
Compared to the 135HP or so the non super charged engines have. But you also get a little worse MPG. But if you have an X you probably don't care too much lol
Can confirm. Fuel mileage is terrible haha. But not why I bought the X in the first place ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.