Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys

I'm in the process of buying a used Xterra with 210,000 kms on it for a great price.
The check engine light is on but I'm having it checked out with an emissions test (mandatory in Ontario Canada)

Is there something that I should be wary of or on the lookout (timing belt etc)

Any guidance or tips I could get from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards
richfisherman

·
Registered
87 Posts
Welcome! To better answer your question, give a few basic details of the X you're looking at:

What year? Manual or auto? 4wd or 2wd?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks dr99, auto 4 wd SE Confirming the year but I think it's a 2004, it's got a sunroof,... which is nice
I think I also mis-spoke when I said "timing belts" and should have said "drive belts"

·
Registered
384 Posts
look up Nissan xterra SMOD. Xterra built between 2005-2008 have this problem. However, considering it has 210k km on it It probably is ok since Xterras with that problem don't last that long or have had the bypass done to it. If it's a manual transmission don't worry about SMOD.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Timing belt and water pump are pretty important. Did both of them when I first got my 02' SE with 195,000kms. Partially depends on the year of your X though. Cheers.

·
Registered
87 Posts
look up Nissan xterra SMOD. Xterra built between 2005-2008 have this problem. However, considering it has 210k km on it It probably is ok since Xterras with that problem don't last that long or have had the bypass done to it. If it's a manual transmission don't worry about SMOD.
He's most likely got a 1st or 1.5 gen, since no sunroofs were ever factory available for the 2nd gen.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
We bought an '05 with lotsa mikes. We looked up the problems before the purchase and figured with all those miles, they were probably FIXXED. WRONG. They had trouble with water going into the tranny. Four months after purchase we put another $4000 into getting tyranny rebuild.
Xterra is the perfect vehicle for us large folks. It was worth the money.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts