Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently picked up a 2001 SE and I am working my way through missing bits and maintenance before doing any upgrades.

The 4WD works nicely, and I am pleased with the clearance and handling.

She's got some rumble and noise on the road, but looks overall clean, outside of the cigarette smoke smell.. blech.

First up on repairs/maintenance is Timing Belt/Water Pump, Plugs. Having a shop do the first two soon. From how the drivechain was maintained I suspect it was done, but since I have no record of it, doing it anyway.

My off road experience dates back to when I was in the Army, 1986-1994, which was mostly woodland with some desert sand for a bit. Drove CUCV pickups (Chevy 3500 Diesel 4x4, nice trucks), CUCV Blazer, HMMWV, M35A2 and an M88A1 mostly when offroad. Had guest appearances from anything else in my unit's inventory at times. I was a mechanic, so they just said.. fix it, whatever it is. Sometimes that meant fixing it on the spot, and driving it to test, sometimes I just got snagged to drive because they knew I was licensed to drive the full inventory we had.

Anyway, great to find this place!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maylene? I live in Alabaster!
Sure, I would love to go out with a group into the WMA.
Going to put her in the shop shortly to get the timing belt and water pump replaced, then I am ready to rock it.

·
Registered
175 Posts
It'll be a while for me since I'm across the pond, but I should be home in about a month or so. Probably should have clarified that in the first post. If you don't have a shop you go to or one lined up, go see Bill at The Works on Triple G drive. If you tell him Eric sent you, he'll hook you up. I don't know how mechanically inclined you are, but I worked at O'reilly for about a year and half so if you ever stopped in there you probably talked to me.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gotcha, be safe over there Buddy!

I don't usually go to O'Reilly's but I have started taking a shine to it lately, I normally go to Ken's and range out from there.

I was a Mechanic for Uncle Sam for 8 years, so I like to do my own work where I can, but timing belt is a major pain without a garage, so I am having someone do it for me.

Cahaba Tire qouted a pretty good price to me ($500) for parts and labor on timing belt and water pump, think The Works can do better? Never heard of the place, but looking it up they are down 119 by Veteran's Park?
I will drop by or give Bill a call and see what they can do. I need A/C servicing on my X and my Truck for summer as well.

(Truck = 1987 Chevy half ton, short cab, long bed, 350 TBI. Love my square body!)

·
Registered
175 Posts
Nothing wrong with going to Kens. They're my third stop since oreilly is closest. Then I call Napa and then go to kens.

That's not a bad price. Not sure what Bill would charge. Full disclosure, I plug his shop whenever and wherever I can since Bill is a super awesome guy and I work there occassionally. He can order the parts or if you bring them in, he'll install them. And yeah, triple G drive is right after veterans park on the right hand side before park forest. And Bill does it all. His shop is the second building on the left, second bay. Parking is usually...packed.

And he has a short cab, long bed we're going to put a big block in eventually. Coincidentally, I might end up with a similar truck. It's an 89, I think. Windows don't roll down, radio doesn't work and the ignition lock is finicky, but you can put a dime on the intake and it won't move.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah I do NAPA too, since that is what I grew up with back in PA. Autozone and the ilk as last resort.

I will give Bill a call and see what he thinks, I do know I trust Cahaba Tire, and also Jack's Garage.

Ah the 89's, the ones I call "Them new fangled Chevy's". Those trim bits are nothing, engine is everything.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Yeah GMT800 platform. I would like an old square body but the wife is upset enough with three vehicles and is dreading the addition of a possible fourth (the truck). But the truck thing is more like a favor to her dad so she can't be mad at me for it. And that's the way I feel about it. I can fix everything listed on a saturday and be perfectly fine.

As to your garages, I've had good experiences with Cahaba Tire and there's a reason they're still around when you consider all the big name shops have moved in around them. I've never dealt with Jack's garage as a customer, only delivering parts. But it's a typical small business owner garage in terms of appearance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nothing wrong with the GMT800's. I understand the upset wife bit, I own three trucks including the one she drives. I have been threatening another vehicle just to have a car around.

Same with Cahaba Tire. Good group of guys there, very honest, and priced competitive.

I wish I had garage space to get in and do the work myself like that, maybe someday again. Sad part is I had a garage for well over a decade and only used it to work on small stuff, and now that I want to work on the big stuff again, I don't have one.

·
Registered
175 Posts
I miss my truck. I had a hardbody for a couple of years. Totaled it in an accident by the publix in pelham when some douche made an illegal turn from the opposing travel alone instead of the turn lane. I can't do the new car threat. It just doesn't gain any traction with her. I don't have a garage, but Bill is kind enough to let me work on my own stuff there. As a matter of fact, my project 240 is there. Should be on the road a couple of weeks after I get back.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.