Nissan XTerra Forum banner

new fluids

855 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  vinmansbrew 
#1 ·
Friday im putting a new radiator, thermostat, and hoses. Whats the best antifreeze yall run? I live in the panhandle of Texas so we range from -10 in winter to 115 in the summer. Also im changing the pressured power steering lines at the same time. Best power steering fluid? 02 xterra 3.3l 150k

#2 ·
Texas doesn't know cold, your -10 happens once in a blue moon! ANyways, the main thing to look for is if the coolant is safe for the radiator. After that, it doesn't matter so much. The typical is 50/50 mix. You ca buy premix or straight coolant and add distilled water yourself. Water is actually a better coolant than antifreeze is. Antifreeze has 2 primary functions, anti freezing(of course) and corrosion and rust control. You won't really go wrong with 50/50 though. As for brand, it doesn't really matter. I have used peak, dexcool, and some others and they all worked about the same.

Same with p/s fluid. Tranny fluid and oil are where you have to pay attention.

#3 ·
You are right -10 in a blue moon, but it regularly reaches single digits up here with 50 mph winds haha. i changed my tranny and diffs a month ago to lucas, and i run royal purple oil. I had been getting the oil changed at the dealership and since i switched to rp i seem to be getting more power and a slight difference in mpg. But i got a leaking radiator so i ordered a new one from a local place that makes them here and i just didnt know if one brand of antifreeze was rated or tested better than another. Ive got 150k on the mileage and i would like to see another 150. I flushed the radiator 4-5 times since i bought the car in 02 and always ran prestone, seems to work good and is probably what i will end up going with again. As far as p/s fluid, ive never really messed with it. Started leaking a couple of days ago, just old lines. Im going to put all new p/s setup on it. I will probably just go to nissan and get what was original put in the x. It lasted 14 years so it must be ok

#4 ·
Sounds like a plan. People stress about fluids, but in most cases, as long as it meets the requirements of the vehicle, it is fine. Oil and tranny fluid are about the only things I really worry about. People will do more damage by leaving old fluid in, or letting it get low; than they will by using different brands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.