Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. I just purchased my first Nissan. A 2003 Xterra SE. I need to do some cosmetic type repairs to it. First off the lights behind the climate controls don't work. I need some suggestions on replacing them, preferrably with dimming LEDs. Might as well replace the ones behind the speedometer, tac, fuel. The next thing I have is the outter cushion of the steering wheel at the top has separated from the metal wheel under it... it moves a little. Nothing drastic it's just not solid. And the third issue is the cloth on the inside roof has separated from the body. Any ideas how to get some glue or something behind it to stick it back to the roof. It's not just area.. it's almost all of it. I think that's it for now. Seems to run well. Might be just a bit of a slip in the tranny but it only has happened once so will get it all checked out.

Thanks for any help you can give.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't believe there's anything that can be done for the steering wheel, look for a used replacement. The headliner falling is common, you can make a small slit near the edge and spray some fabric adhesive inside or remove the whole headliner and replace the fabric altogether. No idea about the lights.

Sent from my BBB100-3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The steering wheel is weird. I thought about injecting some sort of adhesive into it but the metal underneath feels smooth so not sure how it even was attached in the first place.

Also, any idea where I can get the clips that hold the carpet up on the back of the back seats?

Thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
You can get the bulbs from Amazon or superbrightleds.com. I just ripped off my headliner, cleaned it, and spray painted it. Looks pretty good! Eventually I will redo it and put insulation behind it to help keep some heat out of the car in summer. Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get the bulbs from Amazon or superbrightleds.com. I just ripped off my headliner, cleaned it, and spray painted it. Looks pretty good! Eventually I will redo it and put insulation behind it to help keep some heat out of the car in summer. Good luck!
Well I've got everything ordered I think. I got some LED replacement bulbs and I hope they fit the situation. I also decided to buy a fog light kit because of where I live I have used fog lights often in the past. So I'll try to install those at the same time I open up the dash to do the lights. I'm hoping my 2003 xterra is prewired for fog lights and the ends are tucked up in there somewhere like I've seen online with the later models. That would make things super easy. I ordered a headliner and will just remove the whole pan, clean it up and glue the new fabric down. I've seen some videos on how to fix the steering wheel diy... figured why not try the cheap and easy way before having to put on a whole new wheel. I've opted for a bluetooth FM transmitter instead of putting in a whole new updated stereo. I can always do that down the road if the the transmitter bugs me. I'll keep you posted how all of this goes. Afterward the rig should look brand new. Pretty excited.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well I've got everything ordered I think. I got some LED replacement bulbs and I hope they fit the situation. I also decided to buy a fog light kit because of where I live I have used fog lights often in the past. So I'll try to install those at the same time I open up the dash to do the lights. I'm hoping my 2003 xterra is prewired for fog lights and the ends are tucked up in there somewhere like I've seen online with the later models. That would make things super easy. I ordered a headliner and will just remove the whole pan, clean it up and glue the new fabric down. I've seen some videos on how to fix the steering wheel diy... figured why not try the cheap and easy way before having to put on a whole new wheel. I've opted for a bluetooth FM transmitter instead of putting in a whole new updated stereo. I can always do that down the road if the the transmitter bugs me. I'll keep you posted how all of this goes. Afterward the rig should look brand new. Pretty excited.
Oh... and new headlights as well. The lenses are starting to yellow and I've been down the application route before and found it not worth it so just went ahead and got some new ones on amazon. Will do those the same time I do the fog lights since I'll probably end up removing the bumper to do that anyway. Winter wouldn't have been my choice to do all of this as I can't pull it into the garage but here goes!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts