Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy everyone,

Got my hands on an '04 with 168,000 on it, it's been about a month now, and I love this truck. It's a full stock XE 3.3 V6 4x4, I want to make this thing into a well equipped rugged all terrain vehicle. No intention to do rock crawling or anything too wild, just something that is ready for campouts, light overlanding, some solid farting around, and Northeastern winters in the boonies.

Where should I start?

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought one too (same year as yours). I haven't taken any photos yet, but as soon as I get some I'll post them for all of you

·
Registered
5 Posts
Congrats! I sold my motorcycle and bought pretty much the same Xterra you did last month. In the past few weeks I've put more miles on the Xterra than I did in the last 2 years on my motorcycle 😄

Mine is also pretty much stock and I want to take it camping, out for skiing, and some light overlanding as well. I already put new AT tires on after buying the car, so I think the first major upgrade on my list is to swap out the front bumper with a steel bumper that I can install a winch on to get out of some sticky situations while off roading.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm planning on getting the shrockworks front bumper actually, but I only want to do a 2-3" lift, nothing crazy, some steel trims and lights, but I have literally no experience doing conversions like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll take it seriously that the shrock bumper is heavy then.

One side note though, what precisely do torsion bars do?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congrats! I sold my motorcycle and bought pretty much the same Xterra you did last month. In the past few weeks I've put more miles on the Xterra than I did in the last 2 years on my motorcycle 😄

Mine is also pretty much stock and I want to take it camping, out for skiing, and some light overlanding as well. I already put new AT tires on after buying the car, so I think the first major upgrade on my list is to swap out the front bumper with a steel bumper that I can install a winch on to get out of some sticky situations while off roading.
Cool man, yeah I definitely want a winch set up as well, what kind of bike did you have?

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Howdy everyone,

Got my hands on an '04 with 168,000 on it, it's been about a month now, and I love this truck. It's a full stock XE 3.3 V6 4x4, I want to make this thing into a well equipped rugged all terrain vehicle. No intention to do rock crawling or anything too wild, just something that is ready for campouts, light overlanding, some solid farting around, and Northeastern winters in the boonies.

Where should I start?
just a word of warning as these get miles the valve covers like to leak and the distirbutor is a big point of failure to check if you get bad misfires with the 3.3 otherwise they're solid and very reliable had 2 3.3 equipped vehicles, 98 pathfinder i bought 10 years old for 5 grand was literally still one of the best vehicles i have ever owned, 2 issues it ever gave me were clogged fuel filter and failed distributor, had it for 4 years and only reason i dont still is because it got hit and totaled. and 2000 xterra same had a distributor die but did fuuel filter day after i bought it lol that one ended up getting sold to a friend in need for cheap

Reactions: Boots

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,254 Posts
Thanks for the warm welcome!

I'll take it seriously that the shrock bumper is heavy then.

One side note though, what precisely do torsion bars do?
Torsion bars are springs, more precisely the springs for the front suspension. HD torsion bars will help to deal with the added weight of the front bumper.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Torsion bars are springs, more precisely the springs for the front suspension. HD torsion bars will help to deal with the added weight of the front bumper.
Any solid brands for the springs then? Nothing crazy overpriced either.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
just a word of warning as these get miles the valve covers like to leak and the distirbutor is a big point of failure to check if you get bad misfires with the 3.3 otherwise they're solid and very reliable had 2 3.3 equipped vehicles, 98 pathfinder i bought 10 years old for 5 grand was literally still one of the best vehicles i have ever owned, 2 issues it ever gave me were clogged fuel filter and failed distributor, had it for 4 years and only reason i dont still is because it got hit and totaled. and 2000 xterra same had a distributor die but did fuuel filter day after i bought it lol that one ended up getting sold to a friend in need for cheap
Is the distributor a tough peice to replace on these?

·
Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
9,254 Posts

·
Registered
3,378 Posts
Is the distributor a tough peice to replace on these?
nah, did both of mine on the side of the road in 20 minutes

Reactions: Boots
1 - 15 of 15 Posts