Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so I've been going at this for a while now with my X. I have a rear main seal leak. It's a drip or two a day and I'm not touching that beast of a project. However, on my idler arm side I have a leak that is just eating up my end links and sway bar bushings. Need to rebuild my steering but don't want to do that until I get these leaks figures out. My power steering fluid reservoir was leaking from cracked and worn hoses. Replaced those and it's none dry up top. Valve cover gaskets are 5 months old. Under all of that looking up around the idler arm, control arms, and really just all under the passenger side fender will it's still leaking. Fluid looks to be the power steering fluid still (ATF for our trucks) and yes I wiped everything clean and dry after I replaced those hoses. I'm just not sure what else it could be? Any ideas? Doesn't appear to be coolant but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Ok so I've been going at this for a while now with my X. I have a rear main seal leak. It's a drip or two a day and I'm not touching that beast of a project. However, on my idler arm side I have a leak that is just eating up my end links and sway bar bushings. Need to rebuild my steering but don't want to do that until I get these leaks figures out. My power steering fluid reservoir was leaking from cracked and worn hoses. Replaced those and it's none dry up top. Valve cover gaskets are 5 months old. Under all of that looking up around the idler arm, control arms, and really just all under the passenger side fender will it's still leaking. Fluid looks to be the power steering fluid still (ATF for our trucks) and yes I wiped everything clean and dry after I replaced those hoses. I'm just not sure what else it could be? Any ideas? Doesn't appear to be coolant but I could be wrong.
I had the same thing after replacing the rubber hoses on the PS lines. Go back and make sure you crank down on ALL of the rubber hose clamps again. Mine had worked loose.

Also, check the metal lines themselves for fluid. My high pressure line was also leaking but easy to replace.

Heh I also have the rear main drip. Does yours just do it immediately after turning the car off like mine?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yah mine does it right after I shit it down. Nothing to worry about and certainly not something worth fixing. I'll have to check the metal lines themselves. Up top everything is bone dry. It's all underneath but there are so many damn hoses there I don't know where to start or if one is more likely than the other.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Yah mine does it right after I shit it down. Nothing to worry about and certainly not something worth fixing. I'll have to check the metal lines themselves. Up top everything is bone dry. It's all underneath but there are so many damn hoses there I don't know where to start or if one is more likely than the other.
You check the PS reservoir to see if its still going down?

There should only be 3 rubber section for the PS lines. Theres the hose that clamps on the return metal line to the reservoir. The pump suction line from the reservoir to the pump (clamps on both ends), and then the rubber section going from the banjo bolt pressure output of the pump (the big upside down U piece) to the metal part of the pressure line.

I would crank down on the all the clamps, wipe all the lines then see whats wet after a few days.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts