Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,
2004 Frontier V-6 VG33ER
Im experiencing high fuel consumption, low power and I have received a check engine light, scanner code was catalytic converter.
I believe I have one or more cats that need replacing.
Looks like there are 4 catalytic converters, my questions;
Can I replace the entire exhaust with out cats ??
Is there a header system out there for my truck ??
What have you guys done short of spending $2k for an entire new factory Nissan exhaust ??
Thanks
Gregg

·
Administrator
8,601 Posts
There are headers for both the VG33E and VG33ER engines but they are of the long tube varieties meaning they will eliminate the 1st set of cats. As for the rest of the exhaust custom may be the best way to go. I have a NISMO exhaust stainless very durable but they are no longer in production.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Gregg, had the same combination of symptoms with my 2004 Xterra. The other thing that can come into that is overheating, but this can be disguised as nothing during the colder seasons.

The problem was a head gasket leak. Coolant gets into the exhaust and eats away at the mani-cats, as some call them, since they are integrated with the manifold. In my case it did not show up on a coolant test at the exhaust pipe! It can show up as white residue on the spark plug at certain cylinders near the leak.

There are after-market mani-cats that are cheaper than factory parts, but still not cheap. If it is a head gasket, then you're looking at some significant money to fix that plus mani-cats. In my case the rest of the vehicle was solid in terms of corrosion, so I had the work completed and it has run well since then.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hey guys,
2004 Frontier V-6 VG33ER
Im experiencing high fuel consumption, low power and I have received a check engine light, scanner code was catalytic converter.
I believe I have one or more cats that need replacing.
Looks like there are 4 catalytic converters, my questions;
Can I replace the entire exhaust with out cats ??
Is there a header system out there for my truck ??
What have you guys done short of spending $2k for an entire new factory Nissan exhaust ??
Thanks
Gregg
It's long shot and I haven't tried them-----Look on flea bay & amazon they make fuel additives that supposedly clean the Cats??? Could be hokum but you'll only be out of pocket twenty bucks or so.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got an eBay set of headers for about 150.00
My mech charged me 650. To install...he told me I got a real good deal...and I did. Since removing the cats off the manifold, I get a check engine light once or twice a week... I just clear it with my torque app. You will have to bring one of the O2 sensors over the top of the engine to be able to reach. Otherwise there's less-expensive options then the ones offered here...
I'm having a true dual exhaust installed pipe diameter 2.25
Should be getting it this Friday 29th.
At this time I have a modified cold air intake and race headers.... Have not noticed any fuel economy whatsoever... I have experienced more pep though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts