Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2001 Xterra Silver SE 2WD Auto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have a 2001 Xterra SE 2WD 6cyc automatic which I love, am the original owner! And am looking for a "Shift Interlock Solenoid" nissan p/n 34950M 34950-1W600. This part fits on both 2001-2002 Xterra's.

There is a superceding p/n 34950-9Z400 which fits the 2001-2004 Xterra's.

This solenoid is part is under the "Automatic Control Device" and only used on 2WD model Xterra's and it is physically located under the center console just below the shifter.
Can anyone help me?
Yes, I've been to local U-Pull junk yards who either don't have the right Xterra or only want to sell me an entire transmission! Even though this solenoid is not part of the transmission, per se.

Here is a Youtube Video showing how an Xterra owner replaced their solenoid.

I've attached some pix of the solenoid and where it's located.

I manually depress the neutral switch w an icepick (located on the center console) which lets me shift from Park to Reverse, but when I go to the VA Hospital I have to use their parking attendants, so when I'm done with my appt I have to walk a mile to get my Xterra since the attendants cant understand what to do when getting the vehicle.

Thanks in advance for any help in getting this part,

Mike

8 Comments

Comment

·
Registered
2004 Xterra XE 4WD Auto 3.3L NA V6
2,531 Posts
This goes along with your original thread here:

If you can't find one you might be able to DIY one.

If the supply voltage is 5V, then get a small relay with a coil that can handle 5V and work properly. Have the contacts provide 12V to a new circuit. That new circuit is the solenoid below.

For a supply that is 12V (or one that has been modified to provide 12V, as above), use a power door lock motor (available all over the internet) and hook it up to the shift interlock mechanism.

When you test it, step on the brake like normal, then the solenoid (plus 5V relay, if used) will click, indicating that it has been energized.

Adjust it so it moves the mechanism the correct amount. You may want to put a spring between the solenoid and the interlock if the travel of the solenoid is longer than the travel of the interlock. That will prevent it from putting too much pressure on it and yet still allow the solenoid to fully activate.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This goes along with your original thread here:

If you can't find one you might be able to DIY one.

If the supply voltage is 5V, then get a small relay with a coil that can handle 5V and work properly. Have the contacts provide 12V to a new circuit. That new circuit is the solenoid below.

For a supply that is 12V (or one that has been modified to provide 12V, as above), use a power door lock motor (available all over the internet) and hook it up to the shift interlock mechanism.

When you test it, step on the brake like normal, then the solenoid (plus 5V relay, if used) will click, indicating that it has been energized.

Adjust it so it moves the mechanism the correct amount. You may want to put a spring between the solenoid and the interlock if the travel of the solenoid is longer than the travel of the interlock. That will prevent it from putting too much pressure on it and yet still allow the solenoid to fully activate.
WOW!
Thank you for the detailed response, but doing that is well outside of my wheelhouse! While there are many things I readily "McGiver" with confidence, I don't think that this is one of them - I know my limitations!
Again, thank you for your help and the time you took in thinking over the problem with a viable solution. I'll need to find a friend who could take up this challenge!
Re's
Mike

·
Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
1,772 Posts
You can usually zip tie or screw the lever in place that the solenoid moves. On some shifters, I’ve removed the lock lever all together. This will make it so you can shift the vehicle without the key in it but this is usually not a big deal

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! That's a GREAT idea! I think the fix you propose would also bypass having to have the brake pedal depressed.

I think the solenoid lever engages allowing you to shift from Park to Reverse/Drive only when the key is in AND the brake pedal is depressed.

This is something to consider!

Thanks again!

Most Kind Regards,

Mike

1 - 5 of 5 Posts