Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
2001 Xterra XE auto 3.3 V6
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so I need a little bit of help. I took my 2001 into the shop and I wanted them to just take a look round and make sure stuff looks good. ( this is a reputable shop) When I came back they told me and sent pictures about my suspension. My lower and upper ball joints are totally shot, upper control arms, front shocks and rear shocks all need to be replaced as well. So they couldn't do an alignment because its too far gone. So here is my plan. I already have some stiffer torsion bars waiting for a nice day to be installed and the shop wants to charge me, somewhere like 3500 dollars. Absolutely not. So my question is, can I not just buy a decent full 3" suspension lift that would replace all those parts anyway? Calmini maybe? Pay 1000 bux and some change. but its half the price and some upgrades I wanted to do anyway at some point. It makes sense in theory, but figured best to ask more experienced individuals.

· Administrator
2000 Xterra XE 4x4 3.3L AT
10,455 Posts
A 3” lift will get you upper control arms with new upper ball joints, 4 shocks, HD torsion bars, a 3 pack add a leaf, and an idler arm brace. You already have torsion bars so I would go with maybe this

4x4 Parts - Xterra Suspension Lift SPAC63219 - Your #1 Source for Nissan Aftermarket Parts!

3 pack add a leaf can be hit and miss as to how much lift it generates so I would skip that. The above kit along with 4 shocks, HD tie rod adjusters, new tie rod ends (inners and outers) and a new centerlink (preferably HD) and new lower ball joints should straighten it all out. May want to just replace the entire lower control arm as the LCA was never meant to be serviceable as far as ball joints and they tend to crack as they age.

· Registered
03 XE AT w/JDM VG + SC, AC UCA & BL
2,120 Posts
I also installed new lower control arms and new bushings at the same time. The bushings are not fun but I think there’s also poly ones out there to make installing them easier.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
Not on these. The bushing is pressed into the frame so you’d have to get a very strong friend to hold that press up. I used a forcing screw and some thrust washers to push it in

· Premium Member
80 Posts
Alright so I need a little bit of help. I took my 2001 into the shop and I wanted them to just take a look round and make sure stuff looks good. ( this is a reputable shop) When I came back they told me and sent pictures about my suspension. My lower and upper ball joints are totally shot, upper control arms, front shocks and rear shocks all need to be replaced as well. So they couldn't do an alignment because its too far gone. So here is my plan. I already have some stiffer torsion bars waiting for a nice day to be installed and the shop wants to charge me, somewhere like 3500 dollars. Absolutely not. So my question is, can I not just buy a decent full 3" suspension lift that would replace all those parts anyway? Calmini maybe? Pay 1000 bux and some change. but its half the price and some upgrades I wanted to do anyway at some point. It makes sense in theory, but figured best to ask more experienced individuals.

[/QUOTEWhere are you]

Alright so I need a little bit of help. I took my 2001 into the shop and I wanted them to just take a look round and make sure stuff looks good. ( this is a reputable shop) When I came back they told me and sent pictures about my suspension. My lower and upper ball joints are totally shot, upper control arms, front shocks and rear shocks all need to be replaced as well. So they couldn't do an alignment because its too far gone. So here is my plan. I already have some stiffer torsion bars waiting for a nice day to be installed and the shop wants to charge me, somewhere like 3500 dollars. Absolutely not. So my question is, can I not just buy a decent full 3" suspension lift that would replace all those parts anyway? Calmini maybe? Pay 1000 bux and some change. but its half the price and some upgrades I wanted to do anyway at some point. It makes sense in theory, but figured best to ask more experienced indivi

duals.

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hahaha ok yeah I will definitely check some of that out and I will keep you all updated. With Calimini I have heard some not so great things about them anyway so I wasn't too sure that was the move. So I'll check the 4x4

· Registered
5 Posts
I’ve got an ‘02 SE 4x4, and did the 4x4Parts 3” lift on mine last year, the Grassroots center link, Warn hubs, and Rugged Rocks motor mounts. The aftermarket lower arms were both off just a little so the alignment shop(s) had to toy with it a bit, but dialed it in and it drives nice now compared to when I got it in 2020. I did everything but the alignment, definitely an adventure, but satisfying now that it rides and drives smooth. 2-row radiator is next

· Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
As far as going about installing all of these parts once I have them all gathered up is there a recommend build path I take for it all? just so im not flailing around in the dark. I would say I am mechanically in blinded but this will be the largest upgrade I have done to date, SO I would rather not screw it up too bad.

· Registered
2,120 Posts
As far as going about installing all of these parts once I have them all gathered up is there a recommend build path I take for it all? just so im not flailing around in the dark. I would say I am mechanically in blinded but this will be the largest upgrade I have done to date, SO I would rather not screw it up too bad.
What parts are you trying to install? I did everything steering and suspension(no steering box just pitman) in the front and it took hours. I think I did it over two weekends and I had a lift and everything. Lots depends on how much you need that car to roll/drive and how much you want to do it. If you’re doing everything, it’s a lot of work.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts