Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After purchasing a set of 4 in the factory 2nd gen Pro-4X Size (265/75/R16) and having them installed back in June, I was curious how they would handle the snow. The reviews were really good for snow traction, so I figured they would be a great choice. That, paired with having Mastercraft Courser A/T2s (made by Cooper) on my old 02 Xterra SE 4x4 that handled everything with ease, I figured these were just the next revision and would be even better.

Well, I was wrong. My driveway has a slight upward slope to it. During the past 3 snow storms where we received a dusting of snow (no more than 1?), the Coopers proved to have horrible snow traction. During two of the storms, I actually slid at least 3 feet down the driveway while creeping in reverse. The tires also had poor traction when trying to stop on a very slight slope. With my Mastercrafts on my 02, I would have had absolutely no issues. Definitely cannot recommend these tires.

So the big question is, which should I get: Goodyear Duratracs or BFG KO2? I don?t off road at all, but want great snow traction and would prefer better gas mileage (will be doing 30k miles per year soon).

Also, big thanks to Tomas at Discount Tire Direct for being willing to let me return these (pro-rated) in order to get tires that are better.

Leaning towards the Duratracs right now.

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It is odd that the 30k+ miles I have had my at3's has been quite the opposite. Are you running the C rated or E rated? I know sometimes manufacturers change the compound slightly due to heavier load rating. can drive around on slick hard pack in 2wd. The OEM LSD does not like it so much once in awhile. Was able to go up and down 25 degree ice covered streets just fine in 4HI. I know pressure affects how the tire responds more on surfaces like that. Never been a fan of Goodyear. Only tires that tried to kill me. Always end up disappointed when I try BFGs. My at3s have suprised me by running circles around both the KO1 & KM2. BFGs never perform up to standards. They do ok. Supposedly the new KO2s are better. No one has actually had a chance to put a good bit of milage on the yet to see how the tire performs as it wears down. Best bet is dedicated winter tires. They will beat everything mentioned.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the review! Let us know which way you decide to go.
No problem. It definitely wasn't what I was expecting, so I figured I would post since it might save someone else some trouble. Otherwise, they are a great tire if they won't see snow (didn't test them offroad). Regularly got 20-22mpg on the highway with cruise on my 12 P4X with these and I really loved the 55k mileage warranty.

It is odd that the 30k+ miles I have had my at3's has been quite the opposite. Are you running the C rated or E rated? I know sometimes manufacturers change the compound slightly due to heavier load rating. can drive around on slick hard pack in 2wd. The OEM LSD does not like it so much once in awhile. Was able to go up and down 25 degree ice covered streets just fine in 4HI. I know pressure affects how the tire responds more on surfaces like that. Never been a fan of Goodyear. Only tires that tried to kill me. Always end up disappointed when I try BFGs. My at3s have suprised me by running circles around both the KO1 & KM2. BFGs never perform up to standards. They do ok. Supposedly the new KO2s are better. No one has actually had a chance to put a good bit of milage on the yet to see how the tire performs as it wears down. Best bet is dedicated winter tires. They will beat everything mentioned.
Yeah, that's what surprises me too. All of the reviews were really great online, even for the Standard Load (SL) that I bought. It does look like the C1 and E1 load rated versions have better (but fewer) reviews on DTD. I have to believe they are probably a different compound. They must be a different compound from my old Mastercraft Courser A/T2s too (even though they're also made by Cooper).

Good to know about Goodyear and BFG. I haven't had any experience with either on an Xterra, but it seems like there are quite a few people on the Facebook groups that tend to recommend them (Duratrac or KO2).

·
Registered
787 Posts
Had the Cooper AT3s previously and had no issues in the snow (even when they were worn down pretty well) so I'm surprised you didn't have the same results.

Currently have the KO2s and they are AMAZING...after 1,000 miles lol. Yah I don't have a bunch of experience with them yet but they did phenomenal in the snow and on a road trip from SF to LA in the rain. Hardly ever had to be in 4wd in the snow, incredible rain traction, and pretty quiet on-road. Excited to see how they do on rocks and after wearing down a bit.

As for the Duratracs, the only negative I've heard is that the sidewall is pretty weak. Other than that, another great tire.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had the Cooper AT3s previously and had no issues in the snow (even when they were worn down pretty well) so I'm surprised you didn't have the same results.

Currently have the KO2s and they are AMAZING...after 1,000 miles lol. Yah I don't have a bunch of experience with them yet but they did phenomenal in the snow and on a road trip from SF to LA in the rain. Hardly ever had to be in 4wd in the snow, incredible rain traction, and pretty quiet on-road. Excited to see how they do on rocks and after wearing down a bit.

As for the Duratracs, the only negative I've heard is that the sidewall is pretty weak. Other than that, another great tire.
Thanks Thompson. Definitely good to know the KO2s are great in the snow. After watching a bunch of videos of them on YouTube, I think that's probably the direction I'll head.

I'm personally starting to wonder whether my first gen did better in the snow than my second gen because of the LSD in the rear and the drum brakes which are less prone to locking up and less likely to cause it to slide when backing down my driveway.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Thanks Thompson. Definitely good to know the KO2s are great in the snow. After watching a bunch of videos of them on YouTube, I think that's probably the direction I'll head.

I'm personally starting to wonder whether my first gen did better in the snow than my second gen because of the LSD in the rear and the drum brakes which are less prone to locking up and less likely to cause it to slide when backing down my driveway.
No problem.

And that could be it. I have a similar driveway in the mountains and sounds like similar conditions. Slight uphill with about an inch of snow, the AT3s made it right up.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I just purchased Wrangler Duratracs for my X about 1 month ago. So far I love them, they look great and are amazing in the snow. Originally had thought since they have a little more aggressive tread than A/T tires that the performance on hard packed snow would be poor. I can honestly say these are the best tires I've ever had on any vehicle ive owned. They are amazing in deep snow so far and my street tends to get very slushy after snowfall and even still they are amazing. Duratracs are flawless in the snow and although they do have slight road noise I would definitely buy them again as well as recommend them.
Originally decided between KO2's as well but went with the Duratracs due to better feedback about mud and snow performance. Since I get a lot of snow where I live (rural area) Duratracs were a great choice but I do notice a slight mpg change on dry road. If you're looking for strictly snow and highway performance with good mpg I think KO2 is a better choice. However as I said , I give the Duratracs a 10/10 for performance and would recommend :D But of course I haven't put a lot of mileage on them so can't really say how they perform once they wear abit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks poppaX. I ended up getting the KO2s, but saw the DuraTracs on a Hummer yesterday and they look really nice. It was a toss up between the two, but I decided on the KO2s. I figured if my X ends up doing horrible even with the KO2s, most people that I would try to sell the X to would probably love that it has brand new KO2s on it. Hoping it doesn't come to that, but worst case I'll have to sell it for something different.

I'll keep you guys posted... probably getting them installed Saturday morning before our snow storm (heard anywhere from 2-4" to 12-18") Saturday afternoon.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Thanks poppaX. I ended up getting the KO2s, but saw the DuraTracs on a Hummer yesterday and they look really nice. It was a toss up between the two, but I decided on the KO2s. I figured if my X ends up doing horrible even with the KO2s, most people that I would try to sell the X to would probably love that it has brand new KO2s on it. Hoping it doesn't come to that, but worst case I'll have to sell it for something different.

I'll keep you guys posted... probably getting them installed Saturday morning before our snow storm (heard anywhere from 2-4" to 12-18") Saturday afternoon.
Solid choice dude.
Post some pics once you get the new rubber put on :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Post a pic once they are mounted. I'd like to see how they look. Good luck!

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks guys!

Starting to get excited about getting them mounted. They just came in last night and I have to admit they look amazing.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So I got them installed today. They did really good in the dusting earlier. I took my Xterra back out once there was about 3 to 4 inches. Backed down my driveway (unshoveled) in 2wd and it didn't lock up or slide at all. I actually drove down my street (also unplowed) in 2wd with no issues. Definitely much better than the Coopers that I had. The ride quality is also much nicer. They're only slightly louder on the highway than the Coopers, but with the radio on I can't even hear them. I love how they handle bumps and turns. They feel more stable and reassuring inml my opinion.

I did notice they got a little squirmy when driving 25mph in a straight line when there was a small pile of snow, but I think it's just how the 2nd gens are (definitely miss my 1st Gen and the LSD in the rear). Also had no issues stopping. Even when I had to stomp on the throttle to avoid someone who thought they were Ken Block drifting, the tires grabbed and got me out of the way in time. Have to admit, these are some awesome tires.

Also I cant forget to say how awesome Discount Tire Direct was through this situation. They paid for the labels to ship the Coopers (2500 miles on the tires) back and gave me a full credit for them towards the KO2s. Awesome customer service that definitely wants 100% customer satisfaction.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
So I got them installed today. They did really good in the dusting earlier. I took my Xterra back out once there was about 3 to 4 inches. Backed down my driveway (unshoveled) in 2wd and it didn't lock up or slide at all. I actually drove down my street (also unplowed) in 2wd with no issues. Definitely much better than the Coopers that I had. The ride quality is also much nicer. They're only slightly louder on the highway than the Coopers, but with the radio on I can't even hear them. I love how they handle bumps and turns. They feel more stable and reassuring inml my opinion.

I did notice they got a little squirmy when driving 25mph in a straight line when there was a small pile of snow, but I think it's just how the 2nd gens are (definitely miss my 1st Gen and the LSD in the rear). Also had no issues stopping. Even when I had to stomp on the throttle to avoid someone who thought they were Ken Block drifting, the tires grabbed and got me out of the way in time. Have to admit, these are some awesome tires.

Also I cant forget to say how awesome Discount Tire Direct was through this situation. They paid for the labels to ship the Coopers (2500 miles on the tires) back and gave me a full credit for them towards the KO2s. Awesome customer service that definitely wants 100% customer satisfaction.
Awesome to hear man! Glad their working out for you. 1st gen LSD is pretty sweet though :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Awesome to hear man! Glad their working out for you. 1st gen LSD is pretty sweet though :D
Thanks! Yeah, they're awesome. I really miss my first gen haha.

I took my X up to Boston last night - topped off the tank before leaving and after getting back. Went 91.2 miles on 5.081 gallons, so I averaged about 17.95 mpg with about 10-15% city. I only lost about 1 to 1.5 mpg compared to the Coopers. Definitely not as bad as I was expecting - they're totally worth it for the better grip, ride, and look.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've had the Cooper AT3's on my 2012 X for two winters and they have been great! Between this X and my 2000, and 2 Frontiers, I have tried most tires on the market and the Coopers are better than most. Snow consistency varies with temp and humidity, so it's difficult to compare tires by experience and certainly not by one or two storms.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Glad you're happy with your choice of tire man. They are good looking rubbers for sure! Still prefer the Duratracs though :D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I've had the Cooper AT3's on my 2012 X for two winters and they have been great! Between this X and my 2000, and 2 Frontiers, I have tried most tires on the market and the Coopers are better than most. Snow consistency varies with temp and humidity, so it's difficult to compare tires by experience and certainly not by one or two storms.
That's the thing - the reviews were great for the Coopers so I decided on those initially. Unfortunately they must have changed something about the tire because the set that I had was absolutely pathetic when it came to snow traction. I tried them in two different storms and had the same results. The same day that I had the KO2s installed, I had the same sort of snow conditions that I tested the Cooper AT3s in and in all honesty it was a night and day difference. The KO2s are amazing. I don't slide down my driveway anymore in any snow conditions whereas the Coopers made my X feel like it was a sled.

I really have to believe that either you have a different load rating than I did (SL - standard load) which caused them to have a different compound, or Cooper changed the compound for something that isn't as good in the past year or two.

Glad you're happy with your choice of tire man. They are good looking rubbers for sure! Still prefer the Duratracs though :D
Haha thanks! They are both great looking tires and I'm sure the Duratracs perform really well too. It was a toss up and I really could have gone either way. I just ended up landing on the BFG side >:D

1 - 19 of 19 Posts