Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello friends... my mechanic has landed me in trouble.

I found that my 2005 Xterra was smoking so much (black smoke) and I was told its Piston rings are worn and that I needed to change them as well as replace its valve seals.

I drove it to the mechanic shop and handed it over for all the necessary repairs.

To my shock... the mechanic finished changing the rings on the pistons as well as the valve seals but after he reassembled the engine, the Xterra refused to startup again. The engine only rolls but the vehicle refused to come on.

During this time... I noticed that the mechanic left some wires unconnected and called his attention to them. The mechanic said the wires he left unconnected could not stop the vehicle from starting.

He has been struggling with my Xterra for 10 days now without any result. The vehicle has not been able to get started up till now.

Please... I need your assistance and guidance on this problems that came from Changing the piston rings and valve seals...

Please do help a brother in trouble...

I look forward to your supports.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Well, that sucks. Is there a strong fuel smell? Is there spark? Regardless, could be a number of things. Assuming the heads were pulled to do the job correctly, he could have messed up the valve/crankshaft/ignition timing on reassembly. And the wires should all be connected for a job to be considered "done". There's no reason to leave those disconnected at reassembly. Depending on which ones, they may be needed for the computer to work correctly (sensors). If he maintains everything was done right, an ODB II scan tool might give a little insight.

·
Registered
03 XE A/T, SC coming soon
1,324 Posts
There’s so many parts that would have to be removed, replaced, adjusted or otherwise messed with. If he can’t figure it out then I’d suggest taking it to the car dealer. I’ve worked on more than a couple of these vehicles and from what you’ve described, this mechanic will never get your vehicle running properly

1 - 3 of 3 Posts