Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I joined the Xterra family a few weeks ago and picked up this Gen1 for $2500.

Looking her best right after a wash.

It's a 2000 Xterra XE V6 4WD 5-Speed with 140k miles on it. I believe it's the tri-pack model as it has every option except the sun roof, including the rear limited slip differential that actually sort of works.

I have the OEM roof basket on it now with an air dam and some other parts on the way thanks to a forum member. A Lokka is here ready to go in my front differential next weekend pending the arrival of the front diff drop kit I ordered "just in case" I do a suspension lift later. Long term, I am planning a 2" body lift and 33" tires (likely Cooper Discoverer AT/3s).

· Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
That's pretty common...when first starting, people are more concerned with cosmetic issues and trimming and want diagrams/templates to know exactly where/how much, or are afraid to trim even soft plastic, etc....

...and get smaller tires to avoid the added trimming, etc....and, then, regret it, and go big for the next tire set.

Some are so pissed at their small tires, especially if they are lasting a long time, they purposefully kill them to have an excuse to get new larger ones.

Back in 2000, I borrowed my wife's Xterra because the gear I needed to set up a remote monitoring station would not fit into my wrangler...and her General Grabber AT tires got shredded...so I "upgraded" them to slightly larger (275/70/16) Michelin Cross Terrains and trimmed the well plastic with a pocket knife, and called it a day....

...but kept "borrowing" her X and replaced the Cross Terrains (Which were actually very good tires on the road/snow, etc) with BFG AT ko's (305/70/16), and, the last "borrow" lasted from ~ 2001 to 2011 (IE: She never got it back).

I WISH I'd just replaced the General Grabbers with the 305/70/16 ko's from the get go...but, hey, that's the way we learn.

>:D

· Registered
787 Posts
That's pretty common...when first starting, people are more concerned with cosmetic issues and trimming and want diagrams/templates to know exactly where/how much, or are afraid to trim even soft plastic, etc....

...and get smaller tires to avoid the added trimming, etc....and, then, regret it, and go big for the next tire set.

Some are so pissed at their small tires, especially if they are lasting a long time, they purposefully kill them to have an excuse to get new larger ones.

>:D
Exactly my situation.. Lol got them waaay back when my X was stock and they've lasted a very very long time. They're a great tire! I would just love a 32" or a 33" as opposed to these 265/65r17s which I believe is like.. a 30.5"

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I'm glad everyone seems to like the Discoverer AT/3s!

A few updates to the X...

The clutch started to slip now and again and I found oil coming from the bellhousing. Looks like it's rear main seal time. I have a new seal and Exedy clutch kit ready to install. I'm waiting on a release fork and I'm also going too the oil pan gasket while I'm in there.

The front differential is out of the truck now. I was getting ready to put the Lokka in and the diff drop bushings. When I opened the differential I found what I was afraid I'd find since I drained the milky fluid the other day...

The ring gear has rust spots on it and the whole carrier assembly is rusty. I think it's a write-off. I know of a 2002 Supercharged X down the road at a salvage yard. The engine is pulled and I think the differential is laying in the back. I am not sure if the gear ratios are the same but I'm going to look into it and see if I can pick that up next week.

Now is also a good time to fix the ball joints. All the boots are cracked. After doing the diff drop I'll probably go for a 1.5" SL in addition to the 2" BL so I'm trying to decide if I should pick up the Calmini UCAs. Also since I'm planning 33" tires now is a good time for upgrade TREs and TRAs so I can take care of all the alignment mess at once. $$$

Oh and I need to yank those mud flaps and step rails at some point too.

Edit: So, I have the ~4.6 gearing so the supercharged front differential should be geared the same, however wouldn't now be the perfect time to drop in a 5.13 gearset on the front and rear so the 33s aren't such a drag? :)

Anyone have experience with these?
https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/niss...-by-just-differentials-h233b-513-p-57995.html

https://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/niss...ifferentials-1998-2004-r200a-513-p-59821.html

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update! So the X is back on the road, and she hit a late growth spurt:

This round of repairs:
- Sandblasting and re-enameling of the oil pan.
- Resealing the oil pan.
- Replacement of rear main, front crankshaft and front camshaft seals.
- New Nissan water pump, timing belt/tensioner and thermostat.
- New radiator hoses.
- New clutch and flywheel kit.
- New transmission input shaft and transfer case tailshaft seals.

The fun stuff that happened along the way:
- 2" Body Lift
- Front diff now has a Lokka auto-locker fitted.
- Front diff drop bushings installed.

One last bit of fun to finish off this round: I have a set of Warn manual hubs to install because getting the automatic hubs unlocked with the front autolocker is nearly impossible.

Fun times.

Also, I had to bend the transfer case shifter to make it clear the cupholder that apparently only manual transmission Xterras have. Otherwise I couldn't get into 4-LO. I read about possibly having to cut sheet metal but never saw anyone mention the shifter hitting the cupholder.

More to come, eventually.

· Registered
384 Posts
Hey ryan 42. Me and my dad just changed my clutch as well as the flywheel. In the mean time we also changed the rear main seal. I was just curious what clutch kit you used? I used an Exedy KNS12 and as for the flywheel a SACHS. Now i get a weird grinding noise when i starts it up. I have same xterra as you. Are you having any starting problems? What clutch kit and flywheel did you use? Nice job.

· Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I also did the Sachs/Exedy combo but my Exedy kit is a KNS10. Are you sure you installed the KNS12? I have no issues with any noises on startup. Any chance you can shoot a video of the sound you're hearing? I can think of a few things that could be out-of-whack. Is yours a 4WD?

As for the wind deflector... Thanks! I like it much better with it installed. The Xterra didn't come with it but I bought it off of a member here.

Edit: It looks like the KNS12 kit is for a 1996 Nissan Pathfinder 3.3L. The spline count and disk diameter are all the same for the KNS10 and KNS12, so it would have worked. I've pulled up the service manuals for the 2000 Xterra and 1996 Pathfinder. The differences I have found in the two OEM clutches are thus:

2000 Xterra:
Thickness at load: 8.1 to 8.5 mm with 660kg of force
Cover set load: 475 kg

1996 Pathfinder:
Thickness at load: 7.9 to 8.3 mm with 500kg of force.
Cover set load: 600 kg

I'm not sure what this means for you. Seems like the correct clutch is a little thicker, even at a greater clamping force, but I don't understand why "set-load" on the clutch cover would be higher for the Pathfinder if the spec for the thickness is given with less clamping force. I'm not really sure what set-load is; I imagine it is clamping force but I could be wrong. Anyhow, I'm not sure this is really relevant to your issue. Your problem may be with your reassembly and not the parts used.

· Registered
384 Posts
Actually you are right i did use a KNS10. i just checked my amazon order and it said so. The flywheel was different looking than the new flywheel but only in one way. The beginning of the teeth seemed to have a curved ecthing on the old one. The new one did not but all the dimensions were the same. I might have put the starter on wrong. I work at autozone and when i look up the starter for the truck the technical bulletin said that nissan used a variety of starters on these vehicles. none the less my truck starts faster than ever. Before sometimes on starting her up the truck would violently shake as well as the stick shift. I think it was my pilot bushing that wasn't holding the flywheel fine. Mines is a 4WD. For now i only have 150 miles on the clutch so i will give it some time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.