Nissan XTerra Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I haved searched and searched and I have to ask because my situation is a little different. I usually do all my mainance but I didn't this time. Thought I had a bad rear main seal, didn't have time to replace it myself so I took it to a shop. Ended up being a valve cover gasket. Well I told the mechanic (that I know and is pretty good) to tune it up while he had the intake off. Got it back and it had a miss. I then put OEM plugs and wires in it and change the distributor cap, rotor button, and fuel filter. Could find any vacuum leaks but it's still missing. It will read knock sensor on the scanner before it throws a code, then when it does it throws the knock sensor, multiple misfire, and two 02 sensor codes. Remember it ran fine before I took it and it only sat a week. He has went back through what he did twice and can't find anything. When sitting it may run without the miss them just start missing. When driving and it goes under load it will start missing kinda bad but you can floor it and it will eventually take off like nothing is wrong. So my question is did the knock sensor just go bad or do you have any ideas???? Sorry so long but any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
808 Posts
What year? If first gen your distributor may have gone south. There's a write up on replacing the top bearing. It tells how to check under the rotor for signs the bearing crapped out. Usually what happens, it's not bad to change if that's it. If you can change the rear main, you're a better mechanic than me and I changed mine. Most ignore the knock sensor it's not a big deal in non supercharged. Hopefully this hells. If you've second gen 2005+ haven't a clue

·
Premium Member
8,525 Posts
What year? If first gen your distributor may have gone south. There's a write up on replacing the top bearing. It tells how to check under the rotor for signs the bearing crapped out. Usually what happens, it's not bad to change if that's it. If you can change the rear main, you're a better mechanic than me and I changed mine. Most ignore the knock sensor it's not a big deal in non supercharged. Hopefully this hells. If you've second gen 2005+ haven't a clue
I going to go with dist too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
One way to check.take off the rotor. Try to wiggle the shaft-you're looking for play. Also take out the screws to the plastic shield just under the rotor and look around the bearing for metal dust or signs of bearing failure. If it fails either test it's toast. Then you've got 2 choices. You either replace the whole thing (make sure to check the casting number and replace same, they are fussy) or you can just replace the bearing, lot cheaper and not hard to do. If I knew how to I'd add the link to the diy, but sorry can't figure out how. Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Just a update, the O2 sensors have the same plug in. So if you get them switched it will run awful. We switched the connectors and it's running good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts