Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post here (although I've been stalking this forum for years to get advice) but I've finally come to a point where I need my own thread. I've got an 01 X, 2wd, 150k. Only modifications (performance wise) are a K&N intake and an intake manifold spacer. So I got into changing the valve cover gaskets (30-45min job, easy enough) but when I got everything back together and cranked it, 10 separate engine codes (had zero to start with). The main two were MAF sensor and Knock sensor related, so instinctively I just cleaned my MAF....to no avail. After dropping $150 on a new one I have a new lineup of codes. Knock sensor (x2), system too lean, some o2 codes and finally "random multiple misfire" (x3). The misfire is what I'm concerned about. Prior to the gasket change everything was in tip top shape with no CEL at all. As of October, the following have been replaced: plugs, plug wires, intake manifold spacer (with gaskets), TB gasket, MAF sensor (yesterday). Any suggestions would be great. I have a continuous CEL that flashes under even slightly above average acceleration and a SIGNIFICANT loss of power from idle to 3000rpms then it picks straight back up to normal.

·
Premium Member
8,519 Posts
First thing i would do is take out the intake spacer they don't work .
Second i would like to know how you changed the valve cover gaskets in 30 to 40 mins.

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
Off hand, you put it back together wrong, unless there are a lot of coincidences.

:D

Codes don't always mean "swap out the part mentioned" btw...so, slow down with the credit card there.

What were the actual codes?

·
Registered
211 Posts
If yours is anything like mine, all those connectors mounted to the valve covers, etc. haven't been disconnected in a very long time (if ever), and some of the wiring has become quite brittle. You may have broke a wire or two, or may have a bad connection somewhere. That's where I'd start looking before replacing parts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I should've specified lol 30-45 minutes to get the manifold off and get the gaskets on. Not including putting it back together. On to the spacer. I've noticed absolutely no difference with it, but I hate to spend money and just have it lying around. The MAF sensor was a reasonable purchase. I'll get a pic of the old one tomorrow, the guy I bought the car from had it like hot glued together. Another thing about this vehicle (I got it for $800 last spring because it did need some work), the vacuum hardlines under the manifold have been 100% removed and rerouted, FPR also had to be replaced during the summer (diaphragm was punctured). That's the extent of what's happened with it so far. It's been one headache after another but I've gotten pretty fond of it, especially with "the blizzard of 2016" and not even getting the slightest wheel spin in a foot of snow.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts