Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short-I had a bike. I sold it. I need another one. Haha.

Seriously though, I had a sportbike. Had my fun on it, or so I thought I did. A buddy of mine let me ride his Ducati 749D yesterday after work. I had planned on ordering a Harley at the end of this month but after yesterday, I can't decide if I want to get back on a sportbike or follow through with the plan of a Harley. I love both kinds of bikes. Each has their purpose obviously. But its those times that I know I'm going to have an itch just to ride the mountains hard and I can't really do that per say on a Harley without scraping pegs or exhaust or whatever else. I can't decide!!! Anybody else ever have this sort of dilemma? I don't want to fork out the money for a Harley if I'm not going to be happy with it come six months into next year after riding it.

Side note-the reason I'm at a "dilemma" is because even when I had my sportbike I usually just cruised around on it. I wasn't one of those guys who rides 90mph everywhere just because I can. I rode the speed limit maybe 5+mph over, but I do that in my caged vehicles.

To sum this up I guess, I don't want to purchase one and wish I had purchased the other...Any insight?!

·
Off the Beaten Path
1,057 Posts
No matter which one you go for you will always want certain things the other offers. It is just the way it is always gonna be. I can't really say one is better than the other simply because they are so different in style. (Which i am sure you know). So all I can really do is offer my opinion which is the Harley....just my personal preference though. Sorry if I wasn't that much of a help!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
There are many good "standards" and sport touring bikes out right now.

Depending on your budget and how aesthetically pleasing you want it to be...

Kawasaki z1000 or ninja1000 I'd you want the fairings
Kawasaki concours 1400
Triumph speed triple
Ducati streetfighter
Did Honda ever get their cbr1000 out in the states? That looked like a badass bike
Honda has a newer (1100?) v4 interceptor.
Aprillia tuono

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd say go for the Harley, but then again, I am sort of biased...

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

But seriously, check craigslist... you can get a pretty good deal on a used bike out there right about now.

I had the same dilema but took a different path than what I just advised... I was babysitting my friend's Ducati 900SS for a while and was dead set on getting some sort of bike. I went on a deployment, settled on a new Harley. You'll never get both worlds on any bike you choose. I still have an insane itch for a sport bike (and I may pick up a used one once my current bike is payed off), but I would NEVER give up the Harley.

There is one bike that is close (but not really) to getting both though... what are your thoughts on a VROD? If I had the money I would snag this one in a freaking heart beat:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/3758756163.html

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
You are the no lay one who thinks that sportster is the best of both worlds.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No matter which one you go for you will always want certain things the other offers. It is just the way it is always gonna be. I can't really say one is better than the other simply because they are so different in style. (Which i am sure you know). So all I can really do is offer my opinion which is the Harley....just my personal preference though. Sorry if I wasn't that much of a help!
I guess that is a valid point! The "always wanting certain things the other offers"...I never thought about that. It's always going to be a compromise with one or the other!

There are many good "standards" and sport touring bikes out right now.

Depending on your budget and how aesthetically pleasing you want it to be...

Kawasaki z1000 or ninja1000 I'd you want the fairings
Kawasaki concours 1400
Triumph speed triple
Ducati streetfighter
Did Honda ever get their cbr1000 out in the states? That looked like a badass bike
Honda has a newer (1100?) v4 interceptor.
Aprillia tuono
The Z1000's are one of my favorite bikes period! I love the look of them. Especially the white ones with the bronze wheels! The Speed/Street Triple's are wicked. They also make the Rocket and the Thunderbird which look cool but I dont know of anybody who has ever ridden ANY of the Triumph bikes. Not the new ones anyway! Streetfighter's are just...yeah. Theyre in a league of their own!

I'd say go for the Harley, but then again, I am sort of biased...

(sorry for the crappy cell phone pic)

But seriously, check craigslist... you can get a pretty good deal on a used bike out there right about now.

I had the same dilema but took a different path than what I just advised... I was babysitting my friend's Ducati 900SS for a while and was dead set on getting some sort of bike. I went on a deployment, settled on a new Harley. You'll never get both worlds on any bike you choose. I still have an insane itch for a sport bike (and I may pick up a used one once my current bike is payed off), but I would NEVER give up the Harley.

There is one bike that is close (but not really) to getting both though... what are your thoughts on a VROD? If I had the money I would snag this one in a freaking heart beat:
http://norfolk.craigslist.org/mcy/3758756163.html
That is one nice Fat Boy and I dont usually even like Fat Boy's(no offense. haha). I'm not a fan of floorboards although I've never ridden a bike with them to be truthful, I just have to feel a peg under my feet. V-Rod's are nice, but they dont have that Harley SOUND. And lets face it, that IS part of owning one. I've sat on them though and I dont even like how they feel. Maybe they feel different once you're actually out riding, I dont know...

I might be the only one, but I will always have a softspot for the xr1200. You can have the best of both worlds!
I like the look of the XR's but its still a Sportster. I'm a big boy. It's still a small bike. Just taller. Haha

Go Yamaha road star warrior, 1700cc vtwin, air and oil cooled, runs like a top and handles more like a sport bike than any other cruiser
I like the Warrior's. And M109R's(by Suzuki) but if I'm going to have a cruiser its gotta to be a Harley. I'm not a big fan of the sound that comes from the Jap cruisers with exhaust. I have heard Warrior's are pretty badass though!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
One of my really good friends who has raced armature and pro both 2 stroke and 4 for ~20 years had a Daytona 675 for ~4 years that he traded on a speed trip. Both are fun fun bikes in their own way. He says the speed trip is his favorite street bike ever.

And I have an 03 Z1000

Attachments

·
Registered
141 Posts
I like the Warrior's. And M109R's(by Suzuki) but if I'm going to have a cruiser its gotta to be a Harley. I'm not a big fan of the sound that comes from the Jap cruisers with exhaust. I have heard Warrior's are pretty badass though!
Those 2 are the only 2 metric cruisers I would ever consider. You want to talk about fast?! I was messing around with a guy out on a stock M109 one day and he would easily smoke my Fat Boy (with the 103" engine, tuner, upgraded intake and exhaust) and then he would laugh when we got to the next stoplight. It was all in fun. I like those a lot. And they can be had pretty cheap. But the stock exhaust sounds best on them; their aftermarket exhaust makes them sound kinda funny.

As for the Warrior... I have had some dreams of what I could do to that bike, but of course, it would be if it was my second bike... I mean look at it!

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Those 2 are the only 2 metric cruisers I would ever consider. You want to talk about fast?! I was messing around with a guy out on a stock M109 one day and he would easily smoke my Fat Boy (with the 103" engine, tuner, upgraded intake and exhaust) and then he would laugh when we got to the next stoplight. It was all in fun. I like those a lot. And they can be had pretty cheap. But the stock exhaust sounds best on them; their aftermarket exhaust makes them sound kinda funny.

As for the Warrior... I have had some dreams of what I could do to that bike, but of course, it would be if it was my second bike... I mean look at it!
WOW! You're not kidding! I do believe thats the best looking Warrior I've ever seen. But then again I've never gone looking for modified Warriors or M109's. I will give the metrics that part of the equation: they make the power more so than Harley's. BUT how would one fare against a V-Rod?! I don't know how much the Rod's make powerwise, but I'm sure its close to the metric power cruisers, correct? the Harley I test rode that I want has gobs of torque and power. Enough that I do believe I'll be happy with it. If not, theres a place called Revolution Performance that makes big bore kits for the 103ci that takes it to 117 or 124 or 131 i think. Making @ 130whp+ depending on which kit and supporting mods(obviously). I KNOW that would be enough for me on a motorcycle. My FZ didnt make that much bhp. Much less TO the wheel. Haha.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I would agree with a previous respondent who recommended a standard type motorcycle.... it will perform more like a sportbike than a harley, but with a more relaxed riding position. I ride a Suzuki V-Strom and love it.

I have ridden harleys, and personally I just don't get it. Why would you pay premium dollars for a loud, unrefined product that is last decade's technology? Shifting into first gear on one sounds like a minor car accident. Do you just want an excuse to dress up like a pirate on the weekends?

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Harley Davidson invented the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without making any horsepower.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Harley Davidson invented the most efficient way to turn gasoline into noise without making any horsepower.
I need this as a bumper sticker or something! I love my Harley to death (and I've done some work to it, so it does have some power now) but you are right about them being underpowered from the factory... I think mine stock was something like 800+lbs and only made about 68 hp...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I would agree with a previous respondent who recommended a standard type motorcycle.... it will perform more like a sportbike than a harley, but with a more relaxed riding position. I ride a Suzuki V-Strom and love it.

I have ridden harleys, and personally I just don't get it. Why would you pay premium dollars for a loud, unrefined product that is last decade's technology? Shifting into first gear on one sounds like a minor car accident. Do you just want an excuse to dress up like a pirate on the weekends?
Thats like my FZ. It was a "standard" but considered a sportbike. Just not a supersport like an R6/R1.

SO, are you any closer to a decision?
The more I think about it, I think I am a LOT closer to a decision actually.

I need this as a bumper sticker or something! I love my Harley to death (and I've done some work to it, so it does have some power now) but you are right about them being underpowered from the factory... I think mine stock was something like 800+lbs and only made about 68 hp...
Why doesn't Harley or any other motorcycle manufacturer hardly ever say how much horsepower their bike makes but lists the torque rating?!...Haven't been able to figure that one out yet!!

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
How did I ever forget the KTM superduke??that bike is a riot. Buell liter bikes feel different and fun in their own way.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Precursor!! This is just my opinion! Take it with a grain of salt!!

Just some food for thought:
Harley purposely designs their engine/cam timing to run INefficient, just for the sound.

V-Rods come stock with ~100hp For about 2k more (Pipes, intake, computer, etc re:$$$$$) you can put an extra 8hp to the ground :/

Harley's will cost you 50% more than any other bike for initial cost/parts/labor/aftermarket because of the name on them

Just about every Jap bike out there will run longer and more reliably than a Harley, and cost less in almost every aspect.

Newer Triumphs are 100X more reliable than older Triumphs (friend of mine just bought one, loves it)

And while I hate on Harleys, I DID own one a few years back, so it's not blind hatred. It was in the shop more than on the road, and it had less than 10k miles on it and was never mistreated. My 30+ year old Honda 750 ran 10x better than that H-D.

I will give H-D this: They know how to market their product. Listen to a H-D commercial closely the next time you hear it. "American Legend" "Thrill of the Ride" "More than a bike, it's a lifestyle" blah blah blah. More power to you if you want one, and can afford the upkeep. In my opinion, there are literally hundreds of better bikes out there without the sticker shock, and with a set of nice pipes with no baffles, even a Honda Shadow sounds just like a Harley, and gets better mpg's.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
How did I ever forget the KTM superduke??that bike is a riot. Buell liter bikes feel different and fun in their own way.
Meh. I dont like the looks of the KTM. I like naked bikes but, definitely not my favorite on the appearance part of it! I rode a Buell Firebolt. XB9R if i remember correctly. Too racey for me though when it came to riding position. And that was just a 10min ride.

Precursor!! This is just my opinion! Take it with a grain of salt!!

Just some food for thought:
Harley purposely designs their engine/cam timing to run INefficient, just for the sound.

V-Rods come stock with ~100hp For about 2k more (Pipes, intake, computer, etc re:$$$$$) you can put an extra 8hp to the ground :/

Harley's will cost you 50% more than any other bike for initial cost/parts/labor/aftermarket because of the name on them

Just about every Jap bike out there will run longer and more reliably than a Harley, and cost less in almost every aspect.

Newer Triumphs are 100X more reliable than older Triumphs (friend of mine just bought one, loves it)

And while I hate on Harleys, I DID own one a few years back, so it's not blind hatred. It was in the shop more than on the road, and it had less than 10k miles on it and was never mistreated. My 30+ year old Honda 750 ran 10x better than that H-D.

I will give H-D this: They know how to market their product. Listen to a H-D commercial closely the next time you hear it. "American Legend" "Thrill of the Ride" "More than a bike, it's a lifestyle" blah blah blah. More power to you if you want one, and can afford the upkeep. In my opinion, there are literally hundreds of better bikes out there without the sticker shock, and with a set of nice pipes with no baffles, even a Honda Shadow sounds just like a Harley, and gets better mpg's.
That's like saying putting Flowmaster's on a Camaro makes it sound like a Mustang. NEGATIVE!! lol. I did just think of something earlier though-new V-Max's. Anybody own or rode one? I would ride the wheels off one of those!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts