Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Moog from what i hear is pretty good. But last night when i put tires on my truck they walked me out there and showed me all the play in frontend the whole center link moves side to side. They said i need a new one and tie rods which doesnt suprise me any. What did was they wanted 500$ to do it. I am going to do it myself obviously it is a very simple task. Plus i got a year of free alignments. But i got my posistive camber sort of even but my toe is kinda bad. The mechanic came in and told me he did the best he could getting the tires flat and said it would wander very bad and my wheel would be side ways going straight and of course after owning a dodge and holding the wheel upside down going straight lol i didnt care. Im not sure why he said the as it was perfectly straight before. And it still is. Think he was probably just trying to push me to spend the money. Now what really needs replaced? Just the center link and tie rods or all of it? I would think just the center link.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
Do you have a lift? how much? control arms?

The stock style center link sucks, and will always have that play. It is worse with a lift. With a lift, your tie rods are angled more. Add in larger tires, you have more weight and road force that the tie rods must hold back to keep the tires aligned. Since they are angled more with a lift, you have more force going vertically into the edge of the center link (as opposed to axially, IE just side to side). The center link cantilevers upwards and rocks on the idler arm and pitman arm. This is generally NOT because of the tie rod ends, although tie rod end ball joints can contribute.

The only solution is a Grassroots4x4 center link or a full on steering kit, or just allowing for tire wear/unreliable alignments.

For the record, I replaced my stock center link with the Moog center link and moog tie rod ends. I liked the tie rod ends. The center link was good, but it was still the stock design. it still had play and it wasn't until I went with a grass roots center link that my alignment was finally good.

What were you alignment specs/results?

Some links worth looking at:

http://xterranation.org/showthread....s-Explanations-Results-and-Reviews-Post-Yours!

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126401

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
For just 31s and PML, you should be OK with a MOOG center link...but the stock design (even if new fresh/unworn) will have a bit of play at the tires. Even so, it shouldn't cause your steering wheel to be sideways etc...that is easily adjusted out by the tie rod adjuster.

Moog center link with Moog tie rod ends will work well for you. I ran that set up for a while before I went with a big lift and big tires and reinforced steering kit.

You can also look into Bandit4x4 idler arm bushings and a bolt on idler arm brace. That helps tighten up the steering feel.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
I've got a Grassroots 4x4 centerlink, 4x4 parts TRAs, 3" SL, & on 31's. There is a reason I am running a Grassroots centerlink. OEM will not hold up once there is any lift over stock.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
FWIW I'm running 33x12.5s and aftermarket UCAs (although only at around 2" of lift) and I've had a stock centerlink for a while now, more than a year, and it's still good. It's a 555 brand which is expensive from NAPA but got it on RoackAuto for well under $100. For me, it was a good move; it's bought me going on two years and I have the factory one as a core for when I do go to a Grassroots.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
It is good to know some aftermarket oem style ones are holding up. I had to change mine after watching video of mine letting my front tires move in opposite directions while going up a rough hill climb do not trust the ball joints in the center link. Granted mine was the original with 140,000 on it. Another Xterra with the original center link do the same. Never saw legend869's Xterra do it after he installed his grassroots center link. My front was like this video where the centerlink broke.
https://youtu.be/6Wx-a3GLl4s

1 - 7 of 7 Posts