Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a 2002 Nissan Xterra and I have $800. The X is completely stock and I don't plan to keep it that way. Just want to see peoples favorite modifications they have done or a list of what they done. Im in colorado so I plan on being in the mountains and snowboarding. Thanks guys!

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I just bought a 2002 Nissan Xterra and I have $800. The X is completely stock and I don't plan to keep it that way. Just want to see peoples favorite modifications they have done or a list of what they done. Im in colorado so I plan on being in the mountains and snowboarding. Thanks guys!
Its not a great idea to copy other's mods...as there are so many, and, frankly, most might be a waste of your time/$ better used for making YOUR X, do what YOU wish it could do better, than it can now.

The X is very capable even in stock form for example, and if its to go snow boarding, that's mostly just being able to drive on snowy/icy roads...and dedicated snow tires/chains might be the largest improvement that made a difference.

Larger tires then add to that, because they both add ground clearance, and flotation, and traction.

If you add a Body Lift (BL), you can do it yourself for well under $200...and that will allow you to fit 33x12.5 equivalent tires for even more performance in the deep stuff.

Suspension Lifts (SL) don't help on the road at all...but, when combined with better/longer shocks, can help keep the tires on something with traction when the terrain is so uneven the stock suspension runs out of wheel travel.

An inexpensive 1.5" SL is done by simply using the X's built-in front ride height adjustment to raise the front by 1.5"....and then buying a set of longer rear shackles (under $100) to lift the rear a matching amount.

Adding a winch allows self recovery options, and adding recovery points F/R to the rig enables you to get pulled out if stuck.

And so forth.

With only $800 to work with, you can't do a LOT of mods...so, you want to be sure you ONLY do ones that are going to make enough of a difference.

So, what do you want your X to be able to do, that it can't now?

:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
I would suggest you baseline your vehicle from a maintenance standpoint. Make sure the timing belt and water pump is up to date. Change fluids in the motor, tranny, and diffs. Tune up with spark plugs, plug wires, cap and rotor and air filter. Then go wheel and find out what you want the vehicle to so better than it already does. Good luck and post some pictures!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on making it mine and everything. I just wanted to know what people started with. Also I want to mount a curved led bar on the roof rack but the don't have the mounts by gorilla for 2002. what to do?

·
Sage Mentor/Moderator
12,216 Posts
I plan on making it mine and everything. I just wanted to know what people started with. Also I want to mount a curved led bar on the roof rack but the don't have the mounts by gorilla for 2002. what to do?
People either did what you did, and asked what others did, and then added lights and gew gaws...or whatever...and then, later, wished they'd saved their money...

OR

Drove the rig to see what it can't do that you wanted it to...and then modded to address that.

I gave a good break down of beginner mods above there...

So, again, what do you want it to be able to do, that it can't now?

>:D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts