Nissan XTerra Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Only when it's hot outside and I start it after I just get done driving. Where it starts cooling down. If I start it it sounds cammed out and than levels itself out and everythema else is fine? I'm lost here I've got plugs and wires new cap and rotor with about maybe 10k miles on themy since I installed. I'm hoping not my distributor. Anything else it could be?

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
To note I thought it was my tps and it's not. Gotta be a sensor or the darned distriburor.

·
Registered
248 Posts
From what you have said, I would be betting on distributor. Easy way to check, pop off your cap, take off the rotor and then the dust shield within the distributor and check for metal shavings under there. You should be able to do all this without taking the distributor off the truck and should take you about 10 mins or less to do a visual inspection.

The reason I say distributor is that was the exact symptoms mine had and it ended up being my distributor bearing which was just chewed to pieces. I did the bearing replacement and it has ran like a champ with none of the previous symptoms. Total cost of repair was about $7.00 (bearing) + $30.00 (adult beverages) + about an hour and a half of my time (could have been quicker but the adult beverages tend to slow me down when working on cars).

Here is what mine was doing and I would have never thought it was my distributor if not for this site. With the symptoms of it happening only when normal operating temp was achieved I was betting on something electrical and not mechanical. Mine would start like a champ when cold with no issues at all, purr like a kitten and run perfect. As soon as I would reach normal operating temperature it would start to misfire, buck, hesitate and stall. At first I could just start up again and drive ok but as time passed it got worse and worse to the point that once it was warmed up, it would stall and I could not get it to fire back up again. It would turn over, studder, misfire but would not run. All it came down to was a $7.00 bearing in the distributor. As I have been told this is not a solution which will work forever but sure beats dropping down money on a new distributor. For now it runs perfectly and better than it has before.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not entirely shore how to inspect it? Is it just taking the cap off? Or after I take the cap off I look inside. It looks like a bit of sand or something got under the cap.

·
Registered
248 Posts
yup, take the cap off, then there is a screw in the back or the front of the rotor, undue that screw, rotor pops right off. Then the dust cover has a couple of screws or small bolts that attaches it to the distributor, it would be two golden ones, from what I recall as I just did this repair. Take the shield/duct cover off and you should be able to see clearly around the shaft if there are any metal shavings around. When I did this I had visible shavings and bits of what once used to be that bearing in the distributor. It was very clear to see that it was damaged.

If its all good, then just reassemble in reverse.

·
Registered
248 Posts
PS. Also, this "sand" could be shavings of metal. When I took mine apart I was surprise that it ran at all.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Tps is being a pain too. I adjusted it to only find the screw fell out somewhere while driving. So tommorow gonna get me a new screw and also check the distributor. Cause I found a feeler Guage out in my toolbox that I had no idea I had so I can set the idle adjuster screw.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well I got my tps set again. Found a new bolt for the throttle body. Got the cap off and it started raining lol. That's Florida for ya.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts